The MCG and all that...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
November 26th 2011
Published: November 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ellie and I have now moved into our flat in St.Kilda and are making ourselves at home. We are not immediately close to any useful amenities (there is a Chinese restaurant at the bottom of our road and a legal brothel around the corner (neither of which we are planning to visit) but the shops, our local library and the beach are only a couple of stops away.

Last weekend we had a tour around the Melbourne Cricket Ground. It is an extremely impressive venue which Australian sport is very proud of. The ground is mainly used for cricket and a host of Aussie Rules teams also share the ground because of the oval shape of the pitch. Like many large stadiums, it is also used as a music venue for big name acts. Ellie and I now have our tickets for the T20 Big Bash League game there between the Melbourne Stars and the Sydney Thunder in December and we are both excited about soaking up some match day atmosphere at this world famous ground.

After the tour we went to the Australian Sports Museum, which is located inside the ground. The museum covered the wide range of sporting success that Australia has achieved over the last 100 years or so and there was a host of sporting memorabilia, which I could have got lost in. Giant sections of the museum were dedicated to the Olympics, Australian cricket, Aussie Rules and any other sport that you could think of. I could have spent a few hours there, reading all the little bits of information that were dotted around but I was in a kind mood and didn’t want to drag Ellie around too much sport stuff for too long, so we only spent an hour or so there!

Actually, the best part of the museum was the downstairs part where you could throw cricket balls around, kick Aussie rules balls over electronic posts, ride a racing bike machine, among other things. Unfortunately for me, and somewhat embarrassingly as well, the cycling machine proved my undoing as when I attempted to get on it my jeans completely ripped in the worst possible area! Luckily, they were old jeans and already had a small hole but this hole was a hell of a lot bigger at the end of the afternoon. Funnily enough, we didn’t stick around for too long after that incident, as I didn’t want to get arrested for indecently flashing too many visitors and passers-by! However, apart from that little wardrobe malfunction, we (me especially!) had a great time at the MCG!

This weekend we are not up to a lot as it is our first weekend in the flat. We need to sort out our Internet as there is currently no wi-fi so we will probably get that sorted sooner rather than later. Melbourne is scheduled for heavy rain this weekend so I think we will give sightseeing and touring around a miss and instead just get some little jobs that need doing out of the way.

I will keep you all updated when we next do anything exciting!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb