St Kilda.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
October 26th 2009
Published: October 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As I've said before, I liked St Kilda. Thought the tram ride was going to kill Ange (won't go into the details, but an old boy wouldn't let her sit down even though she was sick because he was saving the seat for his wife who was already happily seated at the front of the tram), and when we got there it was blowing a gale, but in the end it all turn out for the best. For a start, Ben and Jerry's were giving away free ice cream, and secondly the wood fired pizza we had was very tasty. You've never seen a happier little bunny.

Lots going on everywhere. They'd packed stalls in along the seafront selling trinkets and art work and all sorts of Bohemian tat. Lunar Park was great to walk around. The community garden was holding an open day with a band and food and weird stuff everywhere. Pod would have called it tree hugging hippy shit, so, because it would have annoyed him, I loved it. The band even played Brown Sugar for you, Crum.

They won't thank me for saying this, but it reminded me in a funny way of some English seaside towns. Maybe it was because it was cold and windy and the sea wasn't a brilliant blue. Think it was mostly the formal gardens and things that struck me as similar. You do get the odd palm tree in Yarmouth though. Then again, you get a lot of odd things in Yarmouth. Some of them are even sober. The rollercoaster at Luna Park was like the one at the Pleasure Beach, but that's where the similarities ended. Didn't see too many fat blokes in Forest shirts fighting with lads from Leicester fighting with lads from the east end. That could have been because it was Sunday though.

Had a stroll up the main drag past more fancy cake shops than anyone should be taunted by in a lifetime, then turned round and had a bit of lunch before catching the tram back home. Bit of advice for anyone who's going to Melbourne, get the Sunday Saver ticket. You can travel around all day on it for peanuts.

Caught the Skybus back to the airport and managed to miss the shocking storm Kylie had to fly though, only to be greeted by City Rail putting on shuttle buses so they could do maintenance work on our line. Added a good hour onto the trip home, which wasn't what we need to be brutally honest. And we had to put up with some Westie chavettes on Sydenham station screaming like harpies and threatening never to talk to each other again.

Ho hum.

Still, despite having to fight a cold and the transport systems, we had a great time. Still lots left to see, so we'll have to find a way a of getting a way back there before too long. Still got to go round the MCG after all.

In other news, I've finally got a job. Start on Tuesday, so it's been a good week all round. I'm a Business Administration Officer none the less. In reality, pond life in the overall scheme of things, but a really great start with what looks like a great firm. Turns out Tuesday is Melbourne Cup day too, so it's going to be an easy introduction all being well. I can stop just as well as the rest of the country. If not better.

Get well soon, Chuck. You need to get to Melbourne and see the sea. Can't promise they'll still be dishing out free chocolate ice cream though.








Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb