Happy Campers


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Philip Island
April 22nd 2005
Published: April 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

G'day everybody. Happy Friday!

Finally off the tourist trail. For the past week all we've seen are tiny little goldmining hamlets, fishing villages and fields full of huge woolly cows. We've been to pubs that were built for the miners, where they still have a corner devoted to gambling on anything ranging from chariot races to crab races.

Haven't met another pommy for some time and all the Bruces and Sheilas want to talk about is their fishing conquests and how many Great Whites they've caught. I asked one guy whether he had a knife handy for when he'd reeled the shark in and he just laughed and said "Nah, ya need a bloody gun!" Having said that everyone's been incredibly friendly and it's so nice to meet such patriotic people.

Phillip Island is famous for it's Penguin Parade, which we went to watch last night. After sunset at the beach hundreds of the world's smallest and cutest little penguins emerge from the ocean and waddle across to their burrows in the dunes. I was so tempted to slip one in my handbag, but apparently they bite.

Can't beleive we only have 2 weeks left in Oz! I've just about got the hang of driving the 'bus' and have only reversed into 1 post and done 1 "side wheelie" on a roundabout.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb