Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
June 8th 2006
Published: June 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello again everyone. Sorry we haven't written lately, busy at work.

On April 24th we picked up our first Caravan in Adelaide. Thank goodness the way to the highway was a straight line, as this was only the 3rd time driving on the wrong side of the road. We go a 2 berth Toyota van, a little thing. Gas powered 5 speeds. Our first main stop was McDonalds, nothing says going a long driving trip like eating a greasy breakfast. Stopped in Murray Bridge, although we were a little disappointed, we didn’t meet Murray or a bridge, or any of the things the signs pointed to. We picked up the van @ 9:15am and I got us lost by 12:03…after a small detour and a u-turn we were on the Pre-Great Ocean Road. The fist day wasn’t so scenic but we were having fun. Stopped for coffee and made lunch at Salt Creek, and ran along Young Husband Peninsula, beautiful. Our fist stop for the night was Beachport. A little village along the water that was beautiful. We took a small drive along the windy coast, took some great photos, picked a coffee at the only coffee shop, I broke the pepper shaker sitting on the table. Everyone stopped looked and I had to stand and admit that yes, it was the bloody tourist. We walked along the jetty which stretched about a km, came pone a family fishing. The husband had just caught something so we hung around to watch. He ended up pulling in a Dog Shark, offer to let us hold, be with our decline he let us take a photo. That night we went to the local pub for dinner, Beachport Hotel. Large meals for inexpensive prices. 2 thumbs up. Filled up with petrol 47.22L @ $141.9/L. That night just hung out and played dominoes…Heather won….

25th…Anzac Day. A public holiday set up to remind the Ozzies that the pommies sent them to the wrong beach during WW2 and they got massacred. Got up around 7:30, took our time getting ready, stopped at the coffee shop again, and again apologized for the pepper shaker, and we were on the road. Stopped around 11:45 in Mt Gambier, took a nice walk around the Blue Lake (Guess what it is known for) about 3.5km next we visited the Sinkhole. It is a large hole in the ground, and they had landscaped with flowers, waterfall etc. Back on the road by 2:30. We entered Victoria around 2; 45. Missed the sign. We stopped as there was a couple on the side of the road with a motorbike, and trying to hitchhike. They had run out of gas. We gave Rachel a ride to their home in Portland. Although Ian, her husband, was waiting, she still took us the long way in to show us the sights. And because of giving her a ride we had to skip stopping at Swan Lake. Lol…That night we stayed in Portland, an Owen Sound sized town, on the water known for shipping wood chips. For dinner we went to a Chinese rest. I didn’t really want to stay as we were the only ones in it…but they started playing Celine Dion and Heather thought it was a sign. The meal was good. After on the walk back to the caravan park, we stopped in at one of the locals, Royal Hotel played some pool and had a night cap. Heather had port out a barrel. Played dominoes, I won.

26th…on the road about 10:15 stopped in Port Fairy for a quick coffee and check our emails. About noon we stopped in Warrnambool. We went horse back riding @ Rundells Mahogany Trail Riders, along the beach…white sand blue, blue water and the sun shining. It was a 1 ½ hour ride including the lesion, in which we were taught to stop turn canter and trot. As we had never really ridden before, we were given the lazy horses…After wards we stopped in town to up load our camera, it took about 2 hours as for some reason some of or photos became corrupt. Stopped for petrol 41.207L @ $1.36/L. Around 5:15 we stopped at the Bay of Islands, just as the sun was setting. Great photos. That night we camped at the Coastal Caravan Park in Peterborough. It was scary. As we were driving up there was a large for sale sign, the grass hadn’t been cut and there were potholes everywhere. When I went to the office somebody called from the house (shack) next door. I went over to find an old man with a fake leg, and bandages all over his good foot. He couldn’t see, and we had a hell of a time trying to get our keys and change. When he gave me the keys, I asked what they were for, he replied “the on-suite… what do you think you are getting for your money” On average we were paying $20 plus for sites. This only cost us $13 with an on-suite. We drove to the spot; I backed in and had a look around. In the back corner there was a 3 rows of caravan trailers all lined up with long grass around them, the other trailers that were there and possibly lived in we an off white/grey. Thinking it was something out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre; we locked the doors, made our food and tried to sleep. Heather kept kicking me all night…what's that sound, it was like Jeepers Creepers…It was the wind blowing against the canvas on the van…When I woke up, I went out side to stretch and there was a large breaded man, looked like a biker, walking a miniature poodle. He keep staring at me…We got back on the road as quickly as possible.

27th…We started on the Great Ocean Road around 9am; this is where the fun started. The view was amazing. Cliffs on your left and water on your right. Nice and windy roads…stopped at the Twelve Apostles, took some great photos. The drive to Apollo beach was awesome. 50km of windy road up, down, round and round, through rain forest, steep drops off the sides…the little van was struggling a wee bit, but made it through with flying colours. Apollo Bay was beautiful. Long gorgeous beaches along the coast. Next stop was Lorne. Had lunch at Teddy’s lookout, went to Erskin Falls, 560 steps to the bottom, we lost count at 540-something…Had a quick look in the shops, Heather had ice cream. Stayed in Geelong, took it easy, Heather won 3/5 dominoes games…

28th…Drove to Melbourne…got a little lost….Heather navigated us to our YHA hostel, to find out we were at the wrong one…lol. Went to the right one, settled in, and dropped off the van. Got cabby to take us to the closest trolley station, he took the long way grumbling that it took him 20 mins to drive to us and we wanted to go for a 5 min drive…Had a quick look around the shops and took the trolley in to the city. Everything runs by trolley, and it is so cheap to get around.
---We decided while driving that we are unable to afford to get to New Zealand, and if we were to stay in Melbourne, we had to quickly find jobs, and an apartment that does short term leases, so we said screw it. We phoned our old jobs asked if we could come back, and got another relocation van to drive back to Sydney----
The hostel was nice, that night they offered free wine tasting and cheese for the people staying. They came out with 2 boxes of wine and cheese and crackers…Heather and I sat and played Scrapple. I was losing the whole game til the last go, and ended up winning by one point…Salt in the wound…lol

29th….Melbourne Shopping Day….  It was a little disappointing as everyone had said how great the shopping was, but it was the exact same as Sydney. We didn’t know where the little boutiques were. It didn’t stop Heather though….After shopping….9am til 6pm…we went for a nice drink at PJ O’Brien’s and James Squire. I feel I have to go to these places to compare…Had a nice ride on Ferris wheel, Dinner was good but the service was crap, but they didn’t realise they didn’t charge us for drinks…score one Neil and Heather. On the way back to the hostel, we ran into Pierre the Frenchy I worked with. Probably see him in Cairns too.

30th….Leaving Melbourne…Raining, the caravan we got was much larger with a toilet and shower….diesel though…We didn’t have unlimited KM so we had to stick with the high way the whole trip. The drive was straight and rainy. We stopped at the spot where they caught Ned Kelly and took some photos of the 25ft Ned Kelly and bought some souvenirs, and can coolie says I drink with the Kelly Gang, (Joanne and family are all Kellys.lol) we stopped in Albury and camped. Once again we went to the local tavern, Spring Hill Tavern…Sunday night Roast. $10.90 including dessert. Ate sooooo much, kids running around everywhere, an all good night (maybe even a highlight) bottle shop out front,, grabbed a couple of roadies for the walk back. Smelly neighbourhood, every block had a different smell. Another victorious game of dominoes and sleepy time.

May 1….on the road again, playing cows along the whole drive probably put us into the millions…lol… Arrived in Sydney around 3:30. Took a detour, took about an hour to get to Jo’s. Picked up some take away and hung out with Jo. Dropped off the van the next day.

Back in Sydney…working at the same jobs. We are planning on leaving next Wednesday to drive back to Cairns to say our farewells, and work at PJ’s one last time…starting to get home sick…2 months…

Love and miss you all….
N&H
PS. Happy B-Day Bob…06/06…


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb