Ocean Road Tripping


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
October 3rd 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The CrewThe CrewThe Crew

From left: Eirik, Zena, Martin, Me and Hardik


Great Ocean Road



Wednesday the 3rd of October a gang of five set out on an adventure to The Great Ocean Road, this amazing stretch of road was constructed as a memory to those killed during The First World War - and what a monumental memorial it is!

Our little group consisted of some of the most kick-ass people EVER: Eirik, Hardik, Martin Zena and myself (not quite as kick-ass, as the kick-assesestest...)

We started out from The University Lodge in Macleod in Melbourne in one of the ugliest vans known to mankind - however being a Toyota it cannot die. We later went and named her Sue...

We went through Geelong and hit Torquay, where the Ocean Road starts and travels westwards to Warrnambool, about an hour or so before noon.

The beach looked pretty awesome and it was packed with surfers. As we carried on, the scenery kept amazing us, it is truly the most fascinating piece of road I have ever seen. Next time I'm going there it's going to be on a motorbike, 4 wheels are
The StarsThe StarsThe Stars

Cardinal Biggles and Alfons Åberg
just two too many at a place like this.

Anyway, we did a bit of shopping in Lorne, and then we paid a visit to the Erskine Falls, about a 15 minute drive inland from Lorne.
The variety of the landscape is astounding, in 15 minutes you go from sandy beaches to rocks and then into a rain forest where Erskine Falls drops 30 meters into the river.

At Kennet River we found a camping ground, paid a decent amount of money for a spot to park the van and put up the tent. At this time the sun was about to set, the kolas were sitting in their eucalyptus trees, birds in various colours were singing and for a moment life was really good!
At the beach the last surfers and families were leaving as we sat there and drank a beer and digested the first day of our trip.

After some more beers and a barbie we went to the beach where we slept under the stars. It was pure awesomeness!
I woke up before the other guys and reckoned that a little dip in the great ocean would be a good way to start
TorquayTorquayTorquay

At the start of the Great Ocean Road
the day. It was freaking cold, it was. And yet all sorts of good.

After a little stroll on the beach and in the surrounding hills it was time for us to move on. Hardik and Sue worked gently carried us onwards through the landscape.
While Hardik, Martin and Eirik ate burgers, bacon, eggs and other manly sorts of food, Zena and I went to a side walk café, where we enjoyed a latte and Italian roll with salmon and got in contact with our feminine side.

After the nice brekkie we continued to the Apostels, the London Arch and all the other wicked sights on the Ocean Road - it was a fabulous day. We saw the most brilliant sunset and found a place where we could sleep for free. It was completely dark when we got there, but we put up the tarp, had some beers on the beach and at our little camp before curled up in our sleeping bags. And that was pretty much the Great Ocean Road, so now we headed north for the Grampians.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb