On the road again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
September 18th 2005
Published: October 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Back in the carBack in the carBack in the car

At Point Addis, near the surfer town of Anglesea
HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATHAN!!

On Wednesday (14th September 2005) we picked up a hire car in order to drive c1200km Great Ocean route to Melbourne.

Still in South Australia we visited (briefly) the German town of Hahndorf but left when we couldn't find any decent apple cake. We stopped for lunch at Meningie before driving the Pelican-filled lagoons of the Coorong National Park. We overnighted in Robe in a cabin at a very good YHA-affiliated campsite (with an indoor heated swimming pool!) and visited the towns attractions (Old ruined clifftop Gaol and Obelisk).

The next day (Thursday) we drove through Beachport before stopping at the volcanic Mount Gambier region. We drove around the crater rim of the "Blue Lake" and went for a walk in the wildlife sanctuary of the "Valley Lake" crater (spotting wild koalas, emu, kangaroos, wallabies but sadly no wombats, who were all in their burrows, and happily, none of the black, red-bellied black nor brown snakes that the information board warned about).

Later afternoon we crossed the border into Victoria and through the towns of Nelson, Portland (stopping at "the Crags"), Port Fairy and finally stopped at Warnambool where we overnighted in the Victoria Hotel (would've been nice in about 1935 but now looking a little 'worn').

Friday morning, we drove out early to Logan's Beach to spot Southern Right Whales who come to the area to calve - but we got very cold and saw zilch...well, one seal and lots of surfers but nothing 18m long! We then started the "Great Ocean Road" proper - Bay of Islands, Bay of Martyrs, Grotto, London Bridge, Port Campell, Loch Ard gorge, the 12 Apostles, Castle Cove lookout (where we were caught in an hail storm!!), Apollo Bay (where they're building a fantastic solar-eco-hostel but it's not finished yet so we couldn't stay). Finally, the sun came out and we drove the amazing windy roads along the Southern Ocean to the pretty town of Lorne.

We overnighted in the YHA there which we highly recommend despite having our sandwiches stolen from the fridge (we had to give a statement and description to the cops**). There are lots of wild Cockatoos, Parrots and Loris in the woods and the hostel provide seed for you to hand feed them - very cool if not a bit scratchy.

On saturday morning, we visited the Erskine Falls
Thunder CaveThunder CaveThunder Cave

Near Loch Ard Gorge
before stopping at the Point Addis lookout and driving through the surf towns of Anglesea and Torquay.

We arrived in Melbourne late yesterday afternoon and went to the Hard Rock Cafe for live music to celebrate our safe arrival.



** WE ARE NOT JOKING




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Apollo BayApollo Bay
Apollo Bay

After the sun came out!
LorneLorne
Lorne

Breakfast with the locals


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb