Melbourne to Port Albert, south Gippsland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Gippsland
January 12th 2013
Published: January 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Melboure was not easy because we wanted to stay there longer but had booked the next accomodation about 6 months ago and we got confused on the road going to St Kilda. We eventually got to St. Kilda and it was very windy and we were amazed at how much it had changed. Luna Park was still there it was having its 100 anniversary, but there were some lovely restaurants on the front and it had an indoor pool and was so clean we hardly recognised it. We sat and had the most delicious coffee yet at a small cafe on the front.

We then made our way to Port Albert on the M1 but soon came off that to go on the coast road. It was quite a pretty road with twist and turns and hills on one side and some different trees, more like the ones we see at home. We stopped at Toora for lunch and it was so hot we ate inside the cafe partly because of the flies, no shade and people smoking outside. We went to the information centre there but they said to try Yarram as it was closer to Port Albert
Port AlbertPort AlbertPort Albert

View from restaurant
and they would know more. So onward to Yarram but still not a lot of info on our final destination. We went to a few shops in Yarram where they were really helpful as my glasses had broken.

It was so hot we went for a swim in the public outdoor pool which although was rundown was very clean and the water was fabulous. We then went back to Port Albert and checked in at Rodondo. A beautiful B&B in an old Victorian house, very tasteful and Susan the owner couldn't be more helpful. Steve played with the dogs in the yard and I did my washing hanging it on the line whilst chickens squawked around my feet.

We strolled down to the fish restaurant right on the harbour a beautiful spot to have a meal, lovely views and nice surroundings. Strolled back as the sun was setting. Port Albert was the largest port in Victoria backin the 1880's but is quite a sleepy place now.

Next day after a cooked breakfast we went for a long walk around the shoreline which is a haven for water birds,black swans, terns, ibis, curlews, cranes, godwits. Thankfully the temperature
SteveSteveSteve

How much??
had dropped significantly which made for a very pleasant walk. Also saw an echidna, an egg laying mammal that resembles a cross between a hedgehog and a porcupine. Returning to our b and b we set off to the south end of 90 mile beach which surprisingly was 90 miles in length and the longest beach in Victoria. Golden sand backed by dunes and virtually empty. We chilled, read and watched some young lifeguards practising their skills. I was going to volunteer to drown but were not convinced by their lifesaving skills. Made our way back to Port Albert which was a 30 ,minute drive, and walked over to an excellent wine bar/restaurant for our evening meal. Kids your inheritance is shrinking by the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb