Christmas Down Under


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Apollo Bay
February 2nd 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We couldn´t help ourselves! We had to do it. We had to do something we couldn´t possibly do back home at Christmas. So yip. We hired ourselves a motor and disappeared off to beautiful Appollo Bay, Victoria for crazy Christmas antics on the beach.

Of course before all that, we began Christmas day in Melbourne. A whizz in the kitchen, Jane prepared a special Christmas breakfast for us. We had delicious mouth-watering pancakes with scrummy maple syrup. Mmm. Heaven on a plate. And it was just as breakfast was about ready that I made my grand appearance dressed as Santa Claus. My outfit was complete with suit, hat, belt and beard!! And I even had a little Santa hat for dear Mr P - flashing lights and everything!!

By early afternoon we were on the beach. We headed to the beautiful seaside resort, Appollo Bay, located between Lorne (yes, as in sausage - you´ll only get that if you´re Scottish!) and Cape Otway on Victoria´s breathtaking scenic coastal route.

I spent most of Christmas afternoon running up and down the beach in my red Santa suit. It was one of those classic crazy things you´ve just gotta do! Kerry was at it too. Antlers on and a flashing Rudolph nose, she was as much the big kid as I was. It was utter tinsel-tastic fun. Absolutely loved it.

On the food front, we did shrimps on the barbie. Well kinda. Shrimps in a frying pan actually. But shrimps all the same. And no Ozzie Christmas is truly authentic without seafood.

Altogether, it was a somewhat surreal experience. There were no chestnuts roasting on an open fire. No Jack Frost nipping at our toes. No folks dressed up like Eskimos. It made it altogether a tad difficult to feel at all Christmasy. Of course, the worst part was being apart from family and loved ones. It was funny imagining everyone back home and us not being there. However did you all cope???? All I can say is that I´m holding mother and Aunt Mags to a second Christmas when I get home. I want turkey and the trimmings, the lot!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb