Burnie: Night Two


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
March 15th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day Thirteen of Fifteen:


Time with the Fossils
Today we traveled back in time to the Triassic Period some 275 million years ago. A large section of the north west coast of Tasmania is renowned for the Geological history that dates back millions of years.

At the Wynyard information centre, we got some literature about the fossils found nearby. Just a few kilometers east of Table Cape is a rock feature called Fossil Bluff.

When we arrived at Fossil Bluff we took the steep walk to the lookout which overlooks Wynyard. To get to the interesting section of the bluff, walk down onto the beach and turn right. Make your way to the high cliff and you step back to a time when shells of marine life were washed up onto the sands of an ancient beach. Over millennia the soils have compacted and trapped these shells until the cliff became so eroded that large chunks of rocks have become exposed and left us with fossilised shells and to find so many in one area is rare indeed.





We spent quite a few hours looking and photographing the feature, in fact we both had aching backs because searching involved bending down so much.

When we got back to the car it was well into the afternoon so we decided that Stanley would have to be visited on another trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb