Tasmania 10 Day Safari - Tasman Peninsula Hike


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Tasman Peninsula
February 16th 2010
Published: February 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Seventh Day


An early start as we picked up others who were joining us for the last five days of the trip; there were a family from South Korea, a German woman and a guy from Austria. In addition we had a second tour guide - a younger fella by the name of Ben. You could say that the four-person dynamic we'd had with Gary was at an end. And we knew we'd been very fortunate. What would the rest of our trip be like?

Remarkable Caves to Crescent Bay


That morning we drove south-east of Hobart and onto the isolated Tasman Peninsula - site of infamous convict prison Port Arthur and the Tasman National Park. There, at a place called "Remarkable Cave" we stood over a blow-hole. Yes, a blow-hole of large proportions, basically a big hole in the coast where the swell comes crashing in.

We then went for a HIKE along the coast in low-lying coastal bush and some of the most diverse in Tasmania, with plants flowering at all seasons of the year. In single file we walked and walked going through heather and heath, the sharp brush scratching my exposed legs. After an hour or so of this and with one last big climb we reached the of Mount Brown and overlooking the very picturesque and and self-explanatory Crescent Bay. There we had some snacks and a sit-down.

We soon yomped our way downhill to the beautiful beach and except our group of twelve - completely deserted. Maja and I walked to the end of the crescent, daring to dip our cold feet feet into the waves. The walk back was arduous to say the least and I was quite drained by the time we arrived back at the Remarkable Cave car park.

We then had a very long two hour drive north, made longer by a forced detour from a major road bridge that had been become dangerous. We briefly stopped at a beer shop to stock up on some booze and then we drove off the main road and onto a dusty track. Gary our guide then jumped out and donated a "carton" or a case of beer to the owner of the property we were to camp on that night. That’s all he requested in recompense - a pretty easy deal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Always on the go...Always on the go...
Always on the go...

Crescent Bay Track


Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 30; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb