Lightning over Hobart and Mount Wellington 31/12/09


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Sorell
February 12th 2010
Published: February 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Lightning from Midway Point, TasmaniaLightning from Midway Point, TasmaniaLightning from Midway Point, Tasmania

It really doesn't get much better than this...

New Years Lightning Display, Midway Point, Tasmania


Our first New Years in Tasmania turned out to be an unexpected treat. We hadn't planned to do anything as we had the kids and with the pregnancy it just wasnt worth the fuss. As the weather was fine we went to 7 Mile Beach and spent the afternoon there. It being my 1st New Years Down Under, it felt very strange sitting on a beach in 30c+ temps when I am used to freezing temps in UK, but it was cool. The kids splashed about for a few hours then we came home for dinner.


It was very humid all day and after dinner I sat out on the deck to try to get some air. Now is a good time to point out that we have a great view across the water to Mount Wellington which, as any tall mountain, attracts clouds like flies around s***! As I am sitting out on the deck and I notice a few flashes of lightning in the clouds that have formed around the mountain and as I continue to watch Jake joins me and the storm clouds gather and intensify.
Lightning 2Lightning 2Lightning 2

...a free and stunning lightning display...





By this time it was Jakes bedtime and he had been told that he couldn't stay up for to see in the New Year but it seemed unfair to send him to bed when, like me, he enjoys watching lightning storms so I let him sit out with me and we watched the storm clouds move from north to south across our horizon right to left. It is fair to say that we had the best view from the safety of our location and that it was the best storm I have ever seen. That night we were treated to a lightning display better than any New Years fireworks display that we might have seen had we gone out. Yes the storm would of been great to see from Hobart with the fireworks too but it would of been just a bit too close and scary for my liking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lightning 3Lightning 3
Lightning 3

...without having to leave the comfort of our own home...
Lightning 4Lightning 4
Lightning 4

...better than any fireworks display...
Lightning 5Lightning 5
Lightning 5

...only problem is...
Lightning 6Lightning 6
Lightning 6

...those blasted power lines...Grrr!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb