WILD TASMANIA...Port Arthur Penal Colony


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Port Arthur
November 1st 2014
Published: November 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

WILD TASMANIA...Port Arthur Penal Colony. In 1996 Australia's psyche was shattered. The issue of guns...right to arms...brought into sharp focus by the massacre at Port Arthur...Tasmania's No. 1 Tourist Site. The ABC summarised it thus: "On Sunday 28 April 1996, the historic site of the Port Arthur penal colony in south-eastern Tasmania attracted hundreds of visitors. At lunchtime the Broad Arr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 21


Advertisement














1st November 2014

I think I have to go back to Australia one day
I was in Australia for 3 months 20 years ago and your and other blogs make me want to go back. I realise there were many places I didn't see but that were well worth going to. Port Arthur being one of those. /Ake
1st November 2014

I think I have to go back to Australia one day
Thanks for commenting Ake. Tasmania was a true revelation. Everywhere we went was spectacular. More to come.
1st November 2014

Geologically awesome - Historically fascinating
Loved this blog, loved the fact we said ENOUGH. Thanks for summarising Bryant in a paragaph not letting him define Port Arthur. I had a friend there at the time, I need to go and erase those memories - im glad they pay no lip service there. Glad you got a shower too!
1st November 2014

Geologically awesome - Historically fascinating
Well said Cindy. Nice to have the opportunity to remind the World that if Australia can say "Enough" and ban gun culture...why don't others? It doesn't mean there aren't guns...it means they are heavily restricted...and the vast majority of us don't want, feel, need or could get one.
1st November 2014
The Trescillated Pathway

Geology and history
Great to have a tourist spot that has both interesting nature and history! Love this tessellated pavement! As in Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego, and Alcatraz in San Francisco, some of the old prison are mighty interesting glimpses into the past.
1st November 2014
The Trescillated Pathway

Geology and history
Thanks Tara. Location selected on a peninsula with a narrow neck to make escape difficult...rehabilitation concept but punishment for non-compliance brutal...ship building for the colony. Geology & history definitely on show here.
2nd November 2014

Port Arthur
I visited with Mum last year and we both loved it. I'm glad there's nothing about Martin Bryant, terrible memories. Port Arthur has enough of those as it is. Did you see any ghosts on your tour? My mothers photos she took all mysteriously disappeared...creepy!
2nd November 2014

Port Arthur
Hi Rachael. amazing place...exceeded all my expectations. There we were on our Ghost Tour...entered the Lunatic Asylum...guide telling tales of ages past. I started wandering away from the group down a side passage...lights flickered...darkness...a scream. Can't remember anything after that...found myself on the grass outside the penitentiary...creepy!!!
2nd November 2014

Port Arthur
As we travel the world becomes smaller, the history becomes clearer, and we realize we need more time traveling. We enjoyed our time at Port Arthur and enjoyed your perspective. Keep those blogs coming. Be good or Denise might lock you up in there for a bit. Port Arthur certainly reflects a different time and approach to punishment.
2nd November 2014

Port Arthur certainly reflects a different time and approach to punishment.
Thanks MJ. Well said. Gotta be good...got things coming up!
7th November 2014

Incredible!
Wow, I really want to go there now! And I agree with you, I'm also the type of guy that usually shuns guided tours, but sometimes it really is a must to get the proper feel for a place. :)
7th November 2014

Incredible!
We are agreed Per-Olof. It's a bit of an eye opener when you discover the tour is the way to go when you could have missed out by thinking you could do it yourself just as well and save the bucks. Port Arthur is such a place. The stories of those who lived and served in the convict days is the essence of the place.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb