Port Arthur and up


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Port Arthur
September 5th 2018
Published: January 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

RichmondRichmondRichmond

Not sure of the name but beautiful. And cold. The tree!
Off to a good start in the morning. We are getting much better organizing ourselves packing up beds and having breakfast, showering etc.

First stop is up to Richmond to see the famous Richmond Bridge. The trip up was interesting as we saw what Hobart called peak hour traffic!

Our GPS took us a round about way to get there, so saw many sheep properties and orchards. Still a bit nippy when we got there, so after a much needed cuppa we rugged up and went for a walk checking out the bridge and then a walk through a couple of old cemeteries and the Anglican church.

Richmond does tourism very well. Hat tip to Ian Brown for the recommendation of Scallop Pies at the Richmond Bakery. We scoffed through a couple plus way too many cakes! The selection and quality are amazing

Nice trip out to Port Arthur. I had no real desire to go there originally, not sure why. Maybe the whole Port Arthur massacre thing. Anyway we were pretty pleased how quickly we got processed using our vouchers. The tour guide was a mix of incredible knowledge and sense of humour. After that we were to do a short river cruise and a good look through the many remaining buildings. Fascinating stuff on how inhumanly we treated those convicts with what were cutting edge treatments of the day. All very peaceful on a bright Spring day, can only imagine life on a cold winters day in threadbare clothing and under the whip.

We were very quiet on the way north. I had checked earlier with the cruise operators for Freycinet. Plenty of space. I had planned to book in but thought, she'll be right!

It was dark once we got the Swansea. Just about everything closed except the pub. We needed change to get the washing done. Good lesson learnt. Always have more change than you need!

Swansea


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Richmond BridgeRichmond Bridge
Richmond Bridge

Yes it is cold
Richmond BridgeRichmond Bridge
Richmond Bridge

Here's something I prepared earlier!
Richmond Richmond
Richmond

Ducks. Tassie is infested with ducks
Port ArthurPort Arthur
Port Arthur

Anglican Church
Port ArthurPort Arthur
Port Arthur

Looks pretty impressive
Port ArthurPort Arthur
Port Arthur

Cell blocks
Port ArthurPort Arthur
Port Arthur

Remains of the administration buildings


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb