Tasmania. Launceston


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Launceston
February 20th 2015
Published: March 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Launceston. Fri 20th
The temperature must have been around 30 degrees today as Tony, Deborah, Bill and myself clambered to the top of the Cataract Gorge. A coffee and vanilla slice soon cured any fatigue as we came back to the cafe and were almost knocked over by a passing Wallaby. Whilst at the cafe we saw a group of people wearing Rotary shirts and it transpired that the local club was hosting some Rotarians from Denmark. Cue for Bill to practice some Danish. We had a good talk to them and exchanged travel information before bidding them farewell. Launceston Rotary Club was formed in 1927 and does a lot of work in the local community, as can be seen by their sponsorship signs at local parks and amenities. Later the waterfront allowed us to catch a little breeze before a good lunch of chicken schnitzel and Boags shandy at Kaines Cafe by the A8. Bill and myself then went to the woodworking design studio, which was very impressive with some lovely timber but sadly exhibited some very uncomfortable looking seats and stools. The next stop was much more to my liking and was a visit to the Tasmania Motor Museum which had about 50 cars and 30 motorbikes on show. All of these were in pristine condition and a delight to see. One exception was an old 1914 Ward Jap motorbike in, as found, condition. A beauty. The foyer was air conditioned nicely and when we entered the museum itself we almost fell over with heat, but this was nothing compared to the upstairs motorcycle section which turned my skin into a fountain. A spot of sun cream, to plug the leaks, at half England prices and back to our room for a much needed siesta before our evening meal. The waterfront allowed us to catch a little breeze Before lunch of chicken schnitzel and Boags shandy at Kaines Cafe by the A8. Bill and myself then went to the woodworking design studio, which was very impressive with some lovely timber but sadly exhibited some very uncomfortable looking seats and stools. The next stop was much more to my liking and was a visit to the Tasmania Motor Museum which had about 50 cars and 30 motorbikes on show. All of these were in pristine condition and a delight to see. One exception was an old 1914 Ward Jap motorbike in, as found, condition. A beauty. A spot of sun cream from the pharmacist at half England prices and back to our room for a much needed siesta before our evening meal. Due to weekend and numbers, plus a diverse range of food requirements saw us splitting up again and a small group of us went to a quayside restaurant which was very nice indeed with an incredible view of the bay. I am getting quite used to a couple of glasses of red wine with my evening meal, I can see alcoholism coming along.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb