Food, Wine and Alpacas - loving Tasmania!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Launceston
March 26th 2007
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a wonderful time in NZ it was time to go home. A mildly traumatic goodbye to Elizabeth in Wellington over many Linhausers was followed by my first flight by myself in two months arriving safely in Launceston to be met by Mum and to be re-aquainted with all the alpacas (they weren't at the airport of course but I'm sure they would have been if they could have been). No time for resting though, I was immediately put to work at the vineyard helping out Dad with out signs and other odd jobs. In my free time I commenced planning Elizabeth's debut tour of Tasmania.
On Sunday, Mum, John, Gwen and I enjoyed a boat trip to Peppermint Bay just south of Hobart, which was absolutely stunning. A beautiful day on a calm Derwent River, we were rewarded with wonderful views and even a very close up encounter with a sea eagle. Lunch was consumed in spectacular style on the Captain's Deck before we wandered around Peppermint Bay and took in the gallery which had a nashi pear tree just bulging with fruit. After being told to help ourselves we were mildly restrained (and instantly regretted not taking much, much more when we tasted them - oh yummy). The week flew and before you could say "new passport" I was picking up Elizabeth at Hobart airport. Man, I'd forgotten what a dive that place is. Hey ho, things can only improve from there.
A lovely drive to Huonville and we were met by our hosts for the next few days who after a few red wines after the Milford Track had kindly agreed to look after us. A big thanks to David and Wendy for the fantastic home made pizzas (in a real live outdoor pizza oven!), tour recommendations, fine wine, great food and fabulous company of all present at Elmside, including a very sociable cat and some lovely alpacas. A wonderful few days that took us to Bruny Island to play with dolphins, seals, albatross, gannets, through the Huon Valley wine route (yes another vineyard visit) and finally to rest at Elizabeth's godmother's sister where we spent most of the time sleeping and eating. Ah bliss.
Salamanca markets were next on the schedule sampling tempura mushrooms, coffee, fudge and all sorts of wonderful food before heading off to Oatlands to Casaveen where we satisfied the remainder of our retail requirements.
It was off to Dad's for a gala dinner where we realised that 5 out of 7 present were born in England - what better reason to play Land of Hope and Glory at full volume. Nothing like making Elizabeth feel welcome!
The next day were were up early for a run (why??) then grape-picking for Dad. Elizabeth took to the task like a duck to water and although our backs reminded us that this was just not natural we enjoyed ourselves and felt we well deserved the vast amounts of food that Brenda seemed to make materialise out of thin air. Amazing!
Then next few days of touring Tassie were pretty much centred around wine, food and alplacas where visits to "The Big Five": Christmas Hills Rasberry Farm, 41 degrees south Salmon Farm, Anvers Chocolate Factory, Ashgrove Cheese Factory and of course Elizabeth Town Cafe were enjoyed by everyone except for Elizabeth's camera who has managed to make it all around the world only to make a break for freedom in a salmon pond (now recovering well thanks to the power of fresh water, a towel and a silca gel pad, ahem...). I think it's time to do some walking...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb