Hobart, Salamanca Market and Mt Wellington


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
March 10th 2012
Published: March 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Salamanca MarketSalamanca MarketSalamanca Market

The huge product and food market held every Saturday in Hobart
Today was to be a Hobart day before leaving and heading north. We spent the morning at the Salamanca Market which is a very well known tourist activity. By Nelson standards, it is very big indeed but in general terms it has similar types of products for sale. There are a lot of quality goods but also rubbishy stuff. There is entertainment too which makes it a bit more vibrant. It is not a famer’s market so does not sell a lot of food products.

Fish and chips by the wharf seemed a good idea for lunch but the fish wasn’t as good as expected. We thought we could choose some fresh fish and get it done before us, but it was ordered much as we do at home. However, it was lovely to sit by the water and enjoy the sights and scenery.

We then went and visited a number of outdoor pursuits shops in the downtown area. Some we have at home and others we had not heard of. However, the goods were much the same. Strangely, no one stocked Lowa footwear which we can get in NZ. Karilyn did manage to buy some clothes but the
View from Mt WellingtonView from Mt WellingtonView from Mt Wellington

Looking out over Hobart from the columnar diorite rocks of Mt Wellington
rest of us were happy to just look.

A drive up Mt Wellington followed since the weather was good and the mountain clear. It is a steep drive up a winding road through forest and rocks behind the city. The mountain is 1278m and is a constant backdrop to the city. At the top it is barren with huge blocks of weathered dolerite igneous rocks in places standing on end into columns. The view from the top almost seems that you can see right across Tasmania in every direction. Looking out over Hobart you get a better idea of the complicated coastline of peninsulas, islands, spits and harbours.

We had agreed with A&M that we would be making dinner tonight so bought groceries to make Beef Wellington accompanied with potatoes, broccoli, baked carrot, asparagus, and mushroom sauce. A dessert of fresh fruit salad and yoghurt followed.

The day was finished off with us teaching A&M, Uno, a simple but nasty card game.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb