Our Blog No Ten


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
March 3rd 2011
Published: March 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi all

After leaving Perth on Monday morning we flew to Adelaide where we stayed for two days. It was a great pity but because of flooding on the line we couldn't take the Indian Pacific Train as originally planned. We had to get up early on Monday to catch the early morning flight but it was quite straightforward leaving. Janet & Celia took us to the airport and it was strange waving goodbye knowng we will see them again in about four weeks time.
Arriving in Adelaide spot on time we took a shuttle bus that took us directly to our hotel right in the centre of Adelaide. We took an interesting walk from the hotel which is in Victoria Square and wandered up to the main shopping area where we browsed and found a cafe for some refreshment. A walk back to the Hilton and a bit of a rest before we had dinner - expensive but good. We had a good night's sleep before getting up for breakfast and to do a trip by Gray Line up the Barossa Valley another wine making area. A very good trip except for a few problems with the coach which were eventually sorted out and didn't really spoil the day. We stopped for coffee at a German Bakery (plus some naughty cakes) and then to Wolf Blass Winery for a bit of tasting which was very nice. After that we went to another winery - Kaesler Winery for lunch and more tasting. We then did more sightseeing with a wonderful stop for photographs. After that we went to Hahndorf a very pretty German village with lovely assortment of shops. We then returned to Adelaide early evening. We had to be up at 4.00am to catch our flight to Melbourne and then Hobart. This was OK and we arrived at check-in in plenty of time and went straight through. Both flights left and arrived on time.
We landed in Hobart at exactly 10.00am and after collecting our bags we walked through and were met by Gillian and Barry and one of their grandsons Hugo. It was a lovely feeling arriving in Hobart at last especially for Nicky as she was the first visitor from the UK to Gill since 1947!! A great welcome and were driven to their home where we were able to relax and unpack etc. It was Gill and Barry's wedding anniversary and we went out in the evening and met up with the rest of the family for dinner. Lovely time and then we drove up to Mount Nelson where there used to be a semaphore signal station to enjoy the view of the city.
Back home and to bed.
Excellent sleep and up very late (we had to wake Nicky up).
After breakfast we took a lovely drive to Richmond which is a very pretty village that has the oldest stone bridge in Tasmania and where the first prison was built by convicts that is still standing. God what a place, I didn't like being placed in the solitary confinement cell even for a few minutes. It was totally black, small and frightening even though I knew I was going to get out again. Imagining a prisoner doing 7 days was awful.
We took a walk around Richmond itself enjoying the little shops and especially the old fashioned sweet shop. A very pleasant drive back to Hobart and then to the Womens Factory where the women prisoners were made to work. Up to Strickland where Barry & Gill used to live befoe getting back home.
The weather has been much cooler than Perth but perfectly pleasant. A few spots of rain here and there but nothing to spoil lor day.
Not been able to connect my own laptop to Gill's yet so am using her laptop so no photos with this blog.
Next blog to follow soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb