Tassie Take 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
April 14th 2009
Published: April 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here we are again into the second month of our Tassie adventure.

Our last day camping back at Seven Mile beach, (just out of Hobart), we awoke to an exceptional clear blue sky day 26deg, (such a joy in between the cold and not so blue ones), so what better way to begin the day than with a long leisurely walk along the beach, taking photo’s, collecting shells, -some for our beautiful little granddaughter Lucille and one special one for our Godchild, Laura, for her birthday, later in the month.
Rest of the day was spent doing chores, packing away all our goodies from Salamanca, 2 loads of washing, topping up our groceries and making 3 varieties of healthy soups to top up the freezer supplies, for on some of the cooler days ahead.
But the most momentous thing we did that day was, ------drum roll, rum da da rum dad a rum------ the unbandaging of Barbs wound on her leg which we have been dutifully and ever so carefully dressing every second day, and with all that TLC (and her great healing powers) it is now no more bandages, all thanks to the power of honey and Nurse C, yahoo, no worries about ulcers, all looking good, great celebration!!!
Early nite that nite, I think? -(to be honest, we never really know what the time is).
Early next morn it was farewell to Hobart, The Woolshed hotel, Seven Mile beach and The Festival.
We’re now off to enjoy the breathtakingly beautiful drive westward past the fields of hops and vineyards into the fern lined rainforest down to the Strathgordon dam, with a stop at Mt Fields National park to do the walks, Russell falls and Tall trees with a picnic lunch in between, after a little morning tea stop at The Possum Shed café ( morning drug stop for Barb and Ian). Barb shouted us some beautiiifullll raspberry jam, our homemade jam supplies needed topping up as Jilly’s marmalade and Helen’s apricot were getting down some and we have enjoyed them both soooo much, such a treat, when we can scrounge a toaster from out of the camp kitchens, along the way.

Of course it was yet another of those crystal clear blue sky days, (ordered especially for us,) that took us Westward again into Tassie’s World Heritage wilderness. We all agreed this was the most beautiful road we had been on, in Tassie, one spectacular view after the other as we passed by Mountain ranges, lakes and rivers and all the time being on this ever winding road which was completely lined all the way, on either side, with lush green ferns and then backed with rich,dense rainforest, I think we were on our way to heaven, on The Apple Isle, in the midst of our Apple tunes.
That nite we spent at The Pedder Lakes Chalet, sounds posh, but very basic really, (originally the base camp for the crews when the Gordon Dam was being built). But as it was just an o/nite stop for us we take a break from putting up our little canvas chateau and as there was no kitchen facilities our chef got a nite off too. So on arrival we took our wine supplies and sat out overlooking the lake and watched the sunset before heading in for an Aussie gourmet dinner cooked by their chef George, a tall dude from Canada,wearing his apron and tin gallon hat, who cooked us a scrumpy dinner of salmon and about 6 veges, including cauli and cheese sauce (yum) and then we watched the TV news, in the lounge, another campers treat, then hit the hay.
Next morn we drove down to see the controversial Gordon dam, Ian and Corrie walked across it, an engineering feat, to say the least.Ian was in seventh heaven, all that concrete, steel and engineering!
Then it was back down the road, but this time, just for a change of scenery, it was through misty rain and clouds, but still with a drug stop at The Possum Café, this time for food as well and then off to Kettering for the 15 minute, 3.45pm car ferry over to Bruny Island.
Bruny Island is about 30miles South East of Hobart,but once you get there, it feels like you are a million miles away from anywhere.

Off the ferry and a 40min drive to The Adventure bay Eco park and the famous White Wallabies.
We chose the best site in the park for our sunset drinks and view back to (I think to The Antarctic!!)the mainland of Tassie. It was a spectacular sunset ( best this trip)and a delightfully warm evening, as we enjoyed 5sy’s surrounded by ten’s of ducks, hens and grey and the famous (only to be found here) white wallabies, what a top spot we had come to, thanks Julie and Graeme for the tip.

The following 5 days were cold and bought quite a bit of rain, but in between keeping warm, we were constantly visited by the parks ducks,rabbits and Wallabies, including the white ones, so amazing! Ian caught us a Flathead out on the beach one evening, a nice little entrée.
Other days we went sightseeing to all the hot spots, visited the local Artists of the island exhibition,played a great tournament of Scrabble at the most Southern pub in Australia.
And then came, our last day, the beautiful clear blue sky day, (as ordered)when we packed up early and went to do the Bruny Is adventure cruise,-- the best 3 hour wilderness and wildlife cruise any of us had ever been on in Australia. We did it in a 275 horse power Verado vessel (designed in NZ) it took us 50kms right down the Tasman South coast to the Southern Ocean and the Friar Rocks, -- what a trip, we saw 1,000’s of barking seals, 100’s of dolphins, albatross’s and eagles, while passing by the coasts awesome cliffs and going in towards the caves ( some that sound like they are actually breathing) and then the excitement of driving between these mighty ocean towering rock formations(like the Apostles).
At most times it definetly felt quite close to the Antarctic, in fact it was only 2,000kms away, but there was nothing in between to break the swells and chills!!!
A great adventure, so much fun and so Tassie!
A quick trip from the Adventure cruise to the Ferry back to the Mainland (of Tassie that is), Then a 2 hour drive down through the Huon valley to our Easter destination,- Dover. The trip was so scenic and with the beautiful blue skies our sightings of “For Sale” signs started to get much discussion, we were falling more and more in love with Tassie!

Arrived at the Dover camping ground in the dark, so it was a bit tougher set up, but a good one , close to the loo’s and nice and sheltered, in case of weather.
Next morn was blue skies and C’s birthday, woke up to the dulcet tones of Ian and Barb’s renditon of Happy Birthday, then it was pressie’s,(a super new camera, a book on Bruny Is Orchids and two stone and Terracotta garden features) lots of lovely hugs and kisses, a yummy breaky made by Barb( our breakfast Queen)and then we were heading off out to do the Tahune Airwalk, a spectacular 600 mtre long nature walk through a eucalyptus forest, over a 20mtre high walkway,then a walk out onto the 48 mtre high cantilevered suspension bridge and 3 swing bridges over the Picton and Huon rivers.
It was a magical walk, we spotted a small crayfish living on the forest floor, saw and C got to do copious trial photo’s(with the new toy) of all the amazing varieties of colorful fungi’s.
But on the way here we did do 3 little detours -First and foremost, was to the fish co-op where we spotted a fishing boat that had just arrived in, and hey guess what, we were just in time to buy the best birthday dinner ever, -------2 crayfish, --------had to then knick back to the camping ground, & put the boys in a safe and concealed place for the day(poor little buggers). Then we went up to the local café, C was shouting morning drugs and early hotx buns, then a quck call over to the local Auxillary Ladies stand to buy the winning Easter Egg Raffle ticket. Then it was on the road to the Tahune Airwalk and lunch before our walk through the treetops.

Got home to the boys, all in tact, and began preparing drinkies, garlic butter , salad and Ian did the ritualistic drowning, before he sliced them open to put on the BBQ, we were all salivating, the smell alone was to die for, sorry boys!
It was such a feast, they were so tender,succulent and full of meat, yum, yum, makes my juices go, just writing about the feed we had, sorry boys! But we did really enjoy you both!! SOOOOOO MUCHHHHH!

Wonderful day, managed to get the emails, Ian bought some wifi, when we got home. And at the top of the hill coming home all our phones started bleeping so within the next 10 minutes of range, we got all the messages that were in intransit.
Thank you so much to you all!!! Much appreciated!

Next day, weather a bit cooler and some rain so we made a picnic and took a drive further down The Huon Trail, to the furthest most Southern point in Australia Cockle Creek, and The Whale sculpture, was a beaut trip, got to see all the locals doing their Easter camping, Tassie style, ----in the rain, -----much like we often have back on the Mainland.
Stopped off at the Ida railway and meet Meg Hewlands, one of lifes characters, an Obstetrics nurse originally from Leeton, who has bought the Railway and is doing it up, great lady, such a good Aussie bird!
Called into Southport, where Ian got breatherlised by the local constabluory, we were very lucky, as he didn’t have his license and they let us go, without a ticket, so from there we scurried home.

Next day we had a very relaxing day, morning of chores etc, then in the afternoon went to the thermal springs (Tassie style) they were’nt too warm, but it was once again a blue skies day and the drive into Hastings was just beautiful, through the rainforest.

That night we went over to the Dover Regatta club, for a BBQ dinner and to be part of the local celebrations after the first days results from their annual Easter Regatta.
Arrived to a great crowd of typical Aussie sailors, debating all their stories of the day, with lots of laughter in between, we seemed to fit in really well, they made us feel so welcome, like all Tassie’s have, such beaut people, so friendly and genuine.
By the end of a “BIG” night we had made some great new friends, danced ourselves silly and Ian was sailing in tomorrow’s regatta on True Blue with Robby, David , his Dad Dennis and Chris(first timer), Top Night!!!
The BBQ was tops too! Lots of local Salmon!!Yum yum!
So next morning, all feeling a little worse for wear, Barb and I headed off to Geeveston and Dover Markets and Southern Design Centre and Ian went sailing.
We all had a great day, topped off by another night at the Regatta Club with Ian’s sailing mates.
Easter Monday was a chores day, soup top up, washing, blogging, car cleaning, all that bloody normal stuff.
But in between we had a visit by Dennis, Daves Dad with 6 beautifulll pieces of the local Salmon for us to take on up the Island for our dinners, such a good guy!!

Well tomorrow we are up for our biggest driving day since we did the trek to Geelong, Dover to Bicheno, about half way up the East coast, about 600 kms should take us about 7+ hours, by the time we do our food and drug stops, but it’s looking like another blue sky one so should be a good one.
Hope you’re all good and that you enjoyed a happy and choco filled Easter.
And thanks for all your emails, it’s so lovely to hear from you all along the way.






Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



19th April 2009

Look Forward to Tassie Take 3!
Hi Corrie, Ian & Barb - Another interesting Blog. Love Rowy & Barrie

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb