More winding roads and hills followed by Extreme Adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
December 6th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We travelled one of the hilliest mountain roads in Tassie from Strahan to Hobart, it took 5 hours to travel 238km and we spent most of our time in the clouds. We were so happy to arrive in Hobart, Steve arms were very sore from steering left and right so much. A big difference to the long straight roads of the NT and QLD. We took a quick trip into the city and Salamanca Markets for the afternoon.

The next day we made our way into the city and boarded the Double Decker London Bus for a hop on hop off tour of Hobart. We travelled past Wrest point Casino, Cascades Brewery, The female factory( the scene of the infamous Potato Factory story about female convicts), and Battery Point which is a part of the city covered in historic buildings. That afternoon we all went to see High School Musical 3, Steph had been waiting for this movie to come out for months. Steve even stayed awake for the whole movie.

Monday we went back into the city to explore around the waterfront, but in a very special way. We sailed the harbour on a working tall ship called the Windeward Bound, it is a youth training ship that does lunch cruises 4 days a week during its down time. It was a great day, Samuel got to steer and the girls were very brave and climbed the rigging to the top of the mast whilst we were under sail. No safety gear!!! except at the top.

Tuesday was another extreme experience day, we started with a jet boat ride down the Huon River just south of Hobart, followed by the Tahune Airwalk over yet another monsterous rainforest. Here we climbed above the giant trees, walked the forest floor and across the Huon River on swing bridges, topped of by a hangliding flying fox ride from the treetops to the ground over the river. We ended the day with a drive to a whale sculpture place at Australias most southern point that you can legally and physically drive to.

Wednesday was day 3 of our extreme Tassie experience, we set off to Bruny Island south east of Hobart for an eco cruise in a massive speed boat along the coast and into the Great Southern Ocean. We had a wild ride through gigantic rock formations and saw blowholes and caves. We spotted Albatross and even a massive seal colony, complete with baby seals. On the way back we went whale spotting but we didn’t find any , we did have about 10 dolphins racing us flat out beside the boat though so that was great to see. This day was definitely not a gentle cruise, it was full on great fun, with a 3 metre swell and a fast driving skipper.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb