Hot stuff in Hobart


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
February 25th 2020
Published: February 25th 2020
Edit Blog Post

It is only 1and half hour flight from Sydney to Hobart via JetStar an economy airline therefore restrictions on baggage etc. We left unwanted stuff in Helen's car at a secure car park. We stayed in a two bedroomed apartment in The Old Woolstore Hotel, which is close to the centre and harbour and is well appointed. It is a short stroll down to the Harbour, where we had a pleasant light lunch at Pearl & Co. A special Mona Rova ferry takes you on a short ride to MONA, the Museum of Old and New Art. The ferry ride includes tickets for the Gallery, which is very new and very weird. We were given devices which you point at the art work when you are close and it says what it is. There were one or two pieces by artists I recognized, otherwise most of it was a mystery, that is if you managed to find your way around as it wasn't sign posted at all. Back at the hotel we were pretty exhausted after all the travelling so decided to eat in the hotel. No ambience to the dining room but the food was well prepared and generous portions with very tasty fish.

On our 2nd day the sun was out and it turned out very hot. We caught the Hop on Hop Off Red bus by the Information Centre in town a short walk away and got off at the Botanical Gardens. Lovely walk around these- very nice fernery, conservatory and Japanese garden. Back on the Red bus we saw quite a bit of the city. We had lunch at Botanicals in Salamanca Square near the Harbour where most of the cafes and bars are. So far I can definitely say that you don't come to Hobart for fine dining. Back onto the bus we saw some lovely Georgian houses on the outskirts of town. We got off at The Old Brewery and walked back towards town on the Rivulet Walk, which takes a good half hour but is an easy stroll and got the Red Bus back to where we started.

Am going to take back what I said about fine dining. We had dinner at the Black Footed Pig on Brooke st. The taster menu at 70$ is terrific. Marvellous food and a nice place to eat in so try it if you are ever here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb