Freycinet National Park & Wineglass Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Freycinet
October 6th 2006
Published: October 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tom overlooking the bayTom overlooking the bayTom overlooking the bay

There were lots of spots to sit and appreciate the view.
On our way to the east coast, we took a down day in Launceston where we relaxed at Cataract Gorge Park for the afternoon. After our day on Cradle Mountain, simply walking to the park from the car was an experience! We needed a full day just to stretch out our muscles.

We intended to do a good walk at Freycinet National Park the following day, but our plans were delayed due to rain, wind and nearly zero visibility. We relaxed with a couple of DVDs at our B&B and headed back to the park the following morning.

Once again, our patience was rewarded with a sunny, blue sky. We trekked up to the Wineglass Bay lookout and had a beautiful view of a secluded white-sand beach (one of the top ten most beautiful beaches in the world). We followed the trail down to the beach itself and spent some time lounging on the rocks with some small spotted lizards.

We then walked across the isthmus to Hazards Beach. This beach was not very pretty at all, scattered with oyster and spiral shells as well as lots of washed-up slimy things. We continued along the coast back to
Rock LizardRock LizardRock Lizard

In the midday sun, many of these little lizards came out to get warm.
the carpark (total of 11 km) through a fairly even track where we were treated to lots of wildlife, including a black tiger snake (the 8th most venomous snake in the world). Luckily, the snake moved away as quickly as we wanted to. We also saw several wallabies munching along our track, one with a beautiful little joey having his own lunch right from his mother’s pouch.

Next stop ... Hobart and Port Arthur.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

RelaxingRelaxing
Relaxing

Now, that's a relaxing park bench! This was on the hike up to the Wineglass Bay lookout.
Wineglass BayWineglass Bay
Wineglass Bay

A panorama of Wineglass Bay. Beautiful, white sand beaches surrounded by lush green hills.
Wineglass BayWineglass Bay
Wineglass Bay

A closer view of Wineglass Bay. The brochures said the hike up to the viewing area was quite challenging, but after Cradle Mountain, this was a breeze!
Wineglass Bay Wineglass Bay
Wineglass Bay

Through some of the foliage at the lookout.
Wineglass BayWineglass Bay
Wineglass Bay

More of the same...
How'd they do that?How'd they do that?
How'd they do that?

Not sure how those people got to the top of those rocks...
White SandWhite Sand
White Sand

Fine, white sand at Wineglass Bay.
Shells at Hazards BeachShells at Hazards Beach
Shells at Hazards Beach

After the clealiness of Wineglass Bay, the many shells found at Hazards Beach were really interesting.
WallabyWallaby
Wallaby

Although not far off the path, this wallaby didn't pay us much interest.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb