Tasmania day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Freycinet
November 23rd 2009
Published: December 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 - Freycinet National park

After about 8 hours of sleep last night, we woke up at 5am the next morning for a scheduled sea kayaking tour at the Freycinet National park for 8:30am. The weather was so beautiful, clear sky but quite windy and chill.

Freycinet is about 2 hours north of Hobart. We arrived at the tour office right at 8:30 only to find out that the tour was canceled due to high wind!! Argh, what a waste of our effort to get up early. We were a bit disappointed, but the wind was blowing strong! As much as we didn't want to hike, we went to get a trail map from the tourist information centre. Despite the strong sun, it was quite cold out there.

From Coles Bay to Wineglass Bay lookouts, then down to the Wineglass Bay, we spent over 3 hours return. It was hard work if you look at the pictures, we went from high elevation to see the Bays from mountain down to the water level. I was glad we did it though, not only for the exercise to burn all the food I ate, but also the splendid views. The views were exactly like the pictures! This Wineglass Bay was once elected as one of the top 10 beaches in the world. The water is clear, but I find the sand too rough and there were also dead birds ALL ALONG the beach!!! So we went to sit on the rocks instead, the rocks. These rocks had an orange top because of the layer of red granite formed on them, quite beautiful from afar.

After the hard work, we left the National Park and drove to the farm for some fresh Tasmanian oysters. This farm serves oysters daily caught from the Tasmania water. They were the biggest fresh oysters we've had so far in Aus, yummmm!

At night, we joined a penguin watching tour at Bicheno, a town about 20 minutes drive from Freycinet National Park. The type of penguin in Australia is called Fairy Penguins, I believe it's the smallest species in the world, average adult size of 40cm tall. These penguins spend the day in the water and return to the land every night to feed the babies and the other half. We were able to get really close to see them returning to their home. They were very cute. Penguins mate for life, meaning they always only have one husband and wife. It's so sweet watching these little penguins returning home and hear them start talking to their other halves and possibly kids too! Even though they are so tiny, the Guide said that they could bite our toes off if they feel they are in dangerous situation!





Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Night penguin tourNight penguin tour
Night penguin tour

No camera allowed during the tour ><"


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb