Tasmania. Sheffield to Deloraine.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Deloraine
February 10th 2015
Published: February 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Tasmania Sheffield to Deloraine.
33 miles and 700 m of climbing.

After a pleasant stay at the Sheffield Motor Inn we sped along Paradise Road until we hit a severe incline around Mount Roland, although it felt like we were going straight up it. As we passed through the trees on the hill of the Gog Forest we were surrounded by screeching White Cockatoos. An amazing descent followed to cross the River Mersey at the foot of the hill. Half way down I came across a French couple grinding their way up, who were spending two months cycling around Tasmania with all the camping gear. The going was nice and easy along the Meander Valley to Deloraine, where we first stopped at Mole Creek for some banana bread and coffee at the very pleasant Bozzey Cafe. The Mountain View Motel is good and overlooks the Tiers, which is a mountain range with prominent steps between them. Four of the rooms were standard twins, but ours was a budget twin. I think it should be renamed Budgie Twin since we had to make an appointment to pass each other in the room and I suffered a bruised elbow when showering. People keep asking us where we are headed tomorrow and when I say 'Great Lake' almost without fail there follows a sharp intake of breath through the teeth and a look of bewilderment and incredulity. Oh! It's a long hill that goes on forever, they say, rather you than me. I wonder how many dead wombats we will see on the road tomorrow as it is usually about 10 or 12 each day so far, and today a couple of rabbits. The motel is providing our evening meal tonight, which is good because it is a quite a way into town for my weary legs that are trained for cycling but are not keen on walking far. We are enjoying the summer weather here in shorts and one shirt in temperatures from 20 to 30 degrees. It was partly cloudy today but still managed 22 degrees. People have been telling us for four days that it is going to rain tomorrow. As long as that keeps being true that will do for me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Shaun the sheep Shaun the sheep
Shaun the sheep

One of many special mail boxes in Tasmania


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb