Bruny Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bruny Island
March 13th 2012
Published: March 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bruny IslandBruny IslandBruny Island

Bruny Island showing the low landscape with scattered trees as we come into the ferry jetty on the island
We decided that instead of heading north again we would go to Bruny Island for the next two days as there appeared to be plenty there to keep us occupied. We left the house at 9.30 and headed for Kettering where the ferry leaves from. Despite getting there early there was already a queue of cars waiting to cross to the island. While we waited we admired the lovely bay with a marina full of yachts and boats. The day was a beautiful clear, sunny and dare I say it, warm day. The ferry trip across to the island is only 20 minutes but it was time enough to admire the approaching island, the calm water and the large coastline around peninsulas, bays and islands.

Once on the island we drove firstly to Bish’s (Bruny Island Smoke House) to purchase some smoked salmon for dinner and to taste other products from the site. From there we drove north to Dennes Point over dirt roads and fairly open country. We called at a shop/cafe/art gallery and admired the crafts which were all top quality from a building with wonderful views. The north has a shortish circuit which can be driven. Once
Sunset on Bruny IslandSunset on Bruny IslandSunset on Bruny Island

The sunset taken from the rented house at Alonnah
back at the main road we headed south and stopped at Tom’s Cheesemaking Factory and first sampled the various cheeses before purchasing some as well as some oven fired bread to take with us. The cheeses there were really good and European in character. There were both hard and soft cheeses and all were full of flavour.

Our accommodation is a large holiday house with a large deck facing out to sea in the town of Alonnah. As always around this region there are fantastic sandy beaches with gentle lapping waves. The township is quite strange. There are few houses but there is a police station, pharmacy, a pub, a store (sort of ), a school, a large domain/playing field with a large new grandstand. It seems well set up with facilities but lacks the finishing touches which make a place look well kept. Our house is well appointed with all facilities inside with a BBQ area and large section giving access to the beach. It was so good that we decided we would stay put rather than go off sightseeing. The afternoon was spent relaxing and reading, then a walk to the pub for a bottle of wine, back along the beach for more R&R then a dinner of smoked salmon and rice salad. It is a superb place to stay and just enjoy the environment.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb