2 December 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Binalong Bay
December 2nd 2012
Published: December 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we moved north up the Tasman Highway and the coastline to our east was just stunning. The white sand and deep blues and turquoise of the ocean were a pleasure to walk next to as we stopped a few times for a stroll.

After picking up a few supplies in St Helens we headed over to Binalong Bay and had lunch by the sea. We decided a bit of camping was in order so from there we made our way to the nearby Dora Point Campground located at the Humbug Point Nature Recreation Area.

There were plenty of sites available set amongst the bushland and we picked a nice secluded spot with plenty of shade. The conditions were a bit cooler but the sun has an extreme intensity on the east coast so time out in the sun was kept to a minimum.

We enjoyed the natural surroundings and later in the afternoon took a walk on the nearby beach at Georges Bay. The water looked very inviting but it was ice cold as we looked over the crystal clear expanse which would be great for snorkeling in the sheltered surroundings over the rocks. Only a few steps in and you would have walked off of a sandy ledge into the deeper water which looked perfect for swimming.

As we walked along the sand we came across literally hundreds of tiny crabs making their way closer to the water's edge as the tide went out. From a distance it looked as if the ground was moving as the crustaceans moved in unison. The late evening sun was still warm and we made dinner in the tranquil surroundings at our campsite. A kangaroo with joey in pouch grazed the area just behind our van as the light began to fade.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb