Tasmania. Triabunna to Bucheno


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bicheno
March 16th 2015
Published: March 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Triabunna to Bicheno
Cooked breakfast down at the take away before starting off at 8.20am on the A3 heading north. The second half became more interesting as we could see the coast on our right hand side ( well it would, wouldn't it as we were heading north up the east coast). Some of the bays and beaches were really beautiful and many with interesting shells, some of which I pinched for my grandchildren. Lunch was had at a small cafe in Swansea, at which point it was getting really hot at 36 degrees in the sun. We headed out north again, after admiring the old Morrisons store, which has been a family business for over 150 years, and passed the Frecinet junction, where most of the group bought home made ice cream, which was apparently to die for. Pity I cannot eat ice cream. I foolishly carried on instead of getting some further sustenance there since I had to stop 5 miles further on to take on food just before hitting the wall approaching the final climb. We dropped into town and bought a brew and a biscuit and talked to a Dutch couple on a tandem who were laden down with camping gear. We had been stalked the past two days by another cycling group, 'Pedal Tours', who were touring the island on road bikes and a support vehicle. We kept passing them even though we carried panniers and re-passing them after we stopped for brews. They were also staying at the same accommodation as us last night in Triabunna . Our accommodation in Bicheno is quite nice though I have ended up on a bony camp bed since they had not got enough suitable rooms for our group and I did the honourable thing for once in my life. After a nice meal at the Sealife Centre we went penguin hunting in the bay near the motel, not with a gun I might add. We saw none coming out of the sea but saw one in the bushes making a big noise, possibly a young one crying out for food. I heard loads more in the dunes but could not see them for the vast amount of vegetation. We went home satisfied that we had seen them without causing them any distress. Another rare animal added to out tally this week. The tour improves day by day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Life EducationLife Education
Life Education

Close to our hearts as Rotarians


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb