Two days on the East coast of Tasmania


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bicheno
January 22nd 2015
Published: January 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

June, Brian and I left Hobart yesterday morning and drove north east towards Bicheno. We travelled through the countryside to Orford in Glamorgan where a bridge crosses the mouth of the River Prosser. Then onto Swansea a small east coast town where we stopped for coffee. This seaside town overlooks Great Oyster bay. We arrived in Bicheno mid afternoon...a quiet but popular holuday resort..and as we are in the main summer holidays it was quite busy. We stayed at a beachfront hotel overlooking the coast. Unfortunately the weather was a bit grey but the main reason for staying in Bicheno was to see the Little Blue ( or Fairy) Penguins return to their rookery in the evening. We left the hotel at dusk and joined an orgsinised group at 9.00pm. We were taken by mini bus to the beach where the penguins emerge each night to return to their young with fish caught out 15 miles out at sea. They had left at dawn. It really is quite magical. They appear in 3 and 4s popping out of the sea onto huge rocks, stand and rest awhile then its follow the leader up the beach right in front of our feet towards the young chicks. We are not allowed to take photos as the flash would frighten and even blind them so pictures to follow later from the organisers. It really was a memorable and enjoyable evening. Today we had breakfast on the balcony in glorious sunshine then drive to Coles Bay one of my favourite places. A tiny but very pretty cove..a walk in Freycinet national park and the drive home through Campbell Town, Ross ..particularly pretty. Then on through Tunbridge, Melton Mowbray and Bridgewater...so we never felt far from home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd January 2015

Penguins
Yes it is truly amazing to see the penguins come ashore as they do

Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb