Off to Storm Boy country


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
February 14th 2018
Published: February 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After brekky downstairs in the coffee shop we packed up and checked out before walking a couple of blocks to the Thrifty office to pick up our hire car.

Driving through Adelaide was so easy and stress free, and we were out of town in no time, heading south east on the freeway. As we approached the Coorong the vegetation became stunted and the paddocks often had little salt pans in them. The Coorong was mostly filled with water, although some arts were dried up salt pans. Continuing down the coast road we came across a delightful town called Robe. The water was a beautiful colour and there were so many historic buildings.

Beyond Robe we came across many many acres of pine trees, and we suspected they were for pulp, and then found that Kimberley Clark own a mill at Millicent for Kleenex tissues, Viva paper towels, and cottonelle toilet paper. Huge tracts of land growing their product.

First stop after checking in and refreshing at Mt Gambier were the lakes. The lakes are relatively recent volcanic craters with water fed through to them from the aquifers. The Valley Lake is greenish, and the Blue Lake next to it is a vivid blue that my photos don’t do justice to. Amazing.

We then went down to have Valentines dinner in an Italian restaurant. Long long story but the less said about it the better. The food was wonderful, but the staff were dreadful. They forgot or didn’t see my order. We weren’t asked to pay for our dinner and drinks because it was such a shemozzle. Enough said.

After dinner we went to a park in the middle of town which has a sinkhole and cave in it and they had a light and sound show playing on the walls of the cave telling us the dreamtime stories relating to the limestone coast area around Mount Gambier. The town has limestone caves underneath it, and is situated on the slopes of a dormant volcano ?- there are caves and sinkholes all over the place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb