Kimberley Adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » William Creek
August 4th 2009
Published: August 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

William Creek PubWilliam Creek PubWilliam Creek Pub

Visitors leave behind busines cards, G-strings, bras etc. The most popular is a big berta bra which is currently used for donations for the Flying Doctors.
Day 6 4/8/2009 Flight over Lake Eyre and the Painted Hills

Easy day today. A scenic flight over Lake Eyre and the Painted Hills did not leave until 1pm so we took the time to sort our gear, check the truck for maintenance and catchup on photos and journal over a cuppa at the William Creek Pub.

The flight was fantastic! Six seater plane and a dirt run way - that was a first! Lake Eyre is only approx 40% full. The lower the water level becomes the more consentrated the salt content becomes. Due to this all the fish has dies and only a small number of peligans are left. The salt is that concentrated that it burns the skin and could turn you blind if it gets in your eyes.

Instead of moving on to Oodnadatta we decided to camp at Lake Eyre. The road to the lake was badly corrigated- so much so that other tourists had created new tracks that ran along side the original. The campsite was like camping at the beach without the waves.

Wonderful day - I really feellike I am on holidays now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Lake Eyre scenic flightLake Eyre scenic flight
Lake Eyre scenic flight

A six seater plane with a dirt run way. The Piolet was from New Zealand with only 400 hrs experience.
Dingo Proof Fence to the NthDingo Proof Fence to the Nth
Dingo Proof Fence to the Nth

The Dingo Proof Fence runns for over 600 km. The maintenance check is carried out by air before a maintenance crew is dispatched.
Lake EyreLake Eyre
Lake Eyre

approx 30% full. The lake rises when Queensland receives a lot of rain.
Lake Eyre 2Lake Eyre 2
Lake Eyre 2

The water is beginning to recind and as it does the salt in thewater begins to crystalize.
PelicansPelicans
Pelicans

There use to be a flock of approx 200 but due to the water receeding there is only a handfull left. The salt level in the water reaches a level that the fish die.
Largest Cattle StationLargest Cattle Station
Largest Cattle Station

This cattle station use to run 60,000 head of cattle but due to the drought has approx 1200. Looking at the landscape there is no feed.
Landscape Landscape
Landscape

Landscape around Lake Eyre.
Campsite from the airCampsite from the air
Campsite from the air

This is where we camped at Lake Eyre from the air.
Lake Eyre CampsiteLake Eyre Campsite
Lake Eyre Campsite

Hallegan Point North Lake Eyre. Just like camping at the beach without the sound of waves crashing.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb