Streaky Bay and surrounds, west coast of Eyre Peninsula in South Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Streaky Bay
September 26th 2016
Published: September 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 24 September (cont)



Streaky Bay and surrounds



The Streaky Bay Foreshore Tourist Park was very well set up with several camp kitchens, laundry, lounge and dining room. Both the lounge and dining rooms had TVs in them and this was important because the second Preliminary Finals for the AFL between Greater Western Sydney and the Bulldogs was on that night. We were hoping for a closer game that the previous night’s game between Geelong and Sydney were Sydney smashed the Cats.



Once hooked up to power, we went for a walk down the beach. It was freezing due to the breeze. We learned that the morning was almost gale-force wind and very cold. But nothing was going to stop us from walking along the beach so we rugged up in our thick jackets. The weather eventually beat us and we went back with a warming red to watch the footy before having dinner.



Well, what a game. The score was so close with the lead changing many times. It was also very good footy. When we were in the lounge with a good crowd, there was a Queenslander who came in and said that AFL was on both TVs and he wanted to watch rugby. We told him that SA is one of the heartlands of AFL so rugby was out, just as in some country Queensland towns when rugby is on AFL doesn’t get a look in!!! We were pleased the Bulldogs won as they were to play Sydney in the grand final the next weekend.



After the game Tom cooked some fish on the BBQ and we joined the Cathcarts for coffee and chocolate over a planning meeting!!!



Sunday 25 September 2016



In Streaky Bay, the next morning I went for a run and took some photos of the town on the way. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and it wasn’t as cold. After some washing and other domestic stuff, we all got into our car without the van, to see the north-western coast of Eyre Peninsular on the Great Australian Bight.



Our list of must-see was the Westall Way Loop, Cape Bauer Loop and the Point Labatt Sea Lion Scenic Drive. What a fantastic day we had. Roads were dirt but fantastic. The costal scenery was breathtaking.



Whistling Rocks and blow holes were the special feature of the Cape Bauer Loop. Fascinating due to the mix of limestone and granite. The coastal cliffs were beautiful against the clear blue sky.



We had lunch at Tractor Beach watching the seagulls and oyster catchers.



We walked down on The Granites which were big boulders, some with orange lichen on them. With that, plus the waves crashing over them from the brilliant blue water, it made brilliant photography …enjoy (I hope)!



Then it was to beautiful Point Westall and Yanerbie Beach. We totally loved the experience and what we were seeing.



Sceale Bay (pronounced Scale) was next which is a popular destination for ‘locals’ and visitors for fishing and holiday recreation.



It has a permanent population of about 40 people. Over the summer months and school holidays, the population can easily treble. Captain Bloomfield named the township Yanera in 1888 after a former Royal Navy companion of his.



W then drove down to Point Labatt seeing the salt lakes on the way. This was another beautiful part of the coast. All in all we drove 195kms, stopping numerous times and going back to the Van Park very satisfied with what we had seen.



When we arrived back in Streaky Bay, we visited the Streaky Bay Hotel as we heard that the Germein Sisters were singing. They were beautiful singer playing the drums, rhythm and base guitars. The lead singer on the rhythm guitar also played the electric piano. It was fantastic Sunday afternoon entertainment with at least 300 people at the pub. The Hotel even put on roast chicken.



We then went back to the Van park for dinner – fish on the BBQ again and caught up on some administrative bits and pieces. This life on the road is certainly busy!!!!!



Monday 26 September 2016



Monday morning was busy outside the caravan park as school was opposite the entry and 2 police cars were patrolling to ensure speedsters were caught. We were heading for some more spectacular Eyre Peninsular scenery: Murphy’s Haystacks, Venus Bay Conservation Park and the Talia Cave Tourist Drive.



Murphy’s Haystacks are massive granite outcrops in the middle of farmland. Several of them looked like the old style haystacks. Their colours were grey and orange from lichen and perhaps mineral, plus the pink granite. Beautiful.



We had morning tea there and Leura invited a cyclist who had ridden from Perth and on the way home to the east coast. He reckons it will take him 8-9 weeks. He certainly appreciated the hot drink and one of Leura’s homemade biscuits.



The Venus Bay Conservation Park comprises Wayland Peninsula and the 7 islands within Venus Bay. We discovered some of the 100 bird varieties.



It was another beautiful day as you will see from my photos. We drove off the Flinders Highway which goes all the way down the west coast of Eyre Peninsular. Venus Bay was our destination but more particular the 2.3km walk around the coast of the Venus Bay Conservation Park on the South Head Walking Trail. Wow and wow again. It was beautiful. We ended up at Needle Eye Lookout fr our last view-point.



As it was made up of limestone above granite, this created extensive undercut rock shelves, caves and an absolute stunning coastline, particularly against the blue sky and brilliant blue water. We watched the waves crashing over the rock shelves creating little waterfalls. Beautiful. We also saw a large pod of dolphins playing in the waves. The walk took us an hour as we were constantly stopping and ooing and ahing!! What do they say, yu wouldn’t be dead for quids.



Dragging ourselves away from the beautiful coastal views, after a bite of lunch on the rocks, we headed for the Talia Caves Tourist Drive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb