Busselton, Mandurah, Perth (again) & onward to Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Robe
March 3rd 2011
Published: March 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

24th February 2011

My birthday, up early and coffee on patio while Lin showered. Lin had bought some cards from home for me – a nice touch. A chill day today – into Busselton for supplies for meal tonight – we are dining in!! We went for coffee in Broadwater bay and in the afternoon headed for the beach and a nice dip in the Indian Ocean. We caught a few rays – you can’t risk too long – 90 mins max- it was over 34 C.

Everybody, thanks for birthday messages, especially Euan – sorry we did not get to speak.

A lovely supper for our last night before heading to Mandurah ( and the cousins) in the morning.

25th February 2011

Busselton to Mandurah. We had been to Mandurah with Chris Fewings (my cousin) in 2010. We took the leisurely route up via Bunbury which was very busy. Arrived at Mandurah at lunchtime, hoping to have lunch in the ‘Jolly Frog’ – guess what, it had closed down (we went with Chris last year). So straight to hotel and made some lunch with the provisions we had left. Interesting hotel (The Atrium) as its name suggests, it has a pool in the centre of the atrium, which the floors look over. Clean enough, built some 30 years ago, it will be one of the oldest buildings (commercial) in the town.

It was very hot (36 C), we walked out along the boardwalk to check out where to eat later. On the way back called in at ‘Murphys’ (an Irish pub) and a cold glass of Guinness (my first since leaving UK).

Had dinner in a lovely dinner in a restaurant ‘M on the Point’, it was so good we booked for tomorrow. Good fish!!!

26th February 2011

Another hot day, up in the high 30’s.
A walk round (slowly) into town, found a shaded bench and some cold drinks.
We are BBQ with the cousins tomorrow so had a quiet day.
Another lovely meal at ‘M on the Point’.

We started to research our next part of the trip. Adelaide to Sydney, whether we do it two hops (flying) or drive the whole coastal route.

27th February 2011

Up early for a walk round the ‘Dolphin Quay’, an area of serious development.
Last year it was still being built, this year, its mostly completed but largely unoccupied.

Obviously, whilst the AUD is strong, people are not wanting to invest.

Picked up by Chris & Johanna (cousins) and on to meet their brother Tony and his wife Leanne.
A lovely family, Tony’s son David, his wife Catherine & their son Sebastian joined us.
Lovely to hear all the tales of their upbringing in Australia. Tony is into the family history ( as I am) so we spent a long time in his den, discussing various family lines (nerd that I am we had both computers running side by side).

Lovely BBQ after nibbles of fresh prawns etc.
Glad I am a carnivore as there was steak, sausage, chicken with all the extras.
Leanne & Tony did us proud.

It was also a very liquid BBQ.

Back to hotel, with Chris & Johanna – it was a great day and much appreciated that they take time out from their families to entertain us.

28th February 2011

Moving on day. Mandurah to Perth for one night before flying to Adelaide.

A leisurely drive up the coast, called in at Fremantle for a coffee. I also had finished a book, they have a good system of trading second hand books. They gave me a credit on the book I had finished, I selected one I wanted and paid the difference, very economical & green.

Found hotel in the business district ‘ The Good Earth Hotel’ (sounded a bit hippyish), but far from it, very cosmopolitan.

Another scorcher, 39 C in mid afternoon, when we walked down to the Barrack Jetty for lunch.

1st March 2011

St Davids day, the first day of autumn for Australia and a moving day for us to Adelaide.

Perth domestic airport manic, its how they travel. A 2hr 30min flight, a time change of 1hr 30 mins see us land in Adelaide at 1pm for lunch!!

Dumped the luggage and out to plan the next stages.

I mentioned that we were in two minds whether to do two hops (flying) or a drive round the coast to Sydney.

We have to be in Sydney either way for the 15th March as we have an apartment booked for a week.

Well, our first stop was to rent a car until the 15th March.
On to the South Australia Tourist Office. They have booked us a room for our next leg heading towards the Great Ocean Road in Victoria.

Its quite quirky that the SA Tourist Board cannot book anything for us in the state of Victoria, we will have to book our accommodation as we go!!

Anyway, we have tomorrow (all day to look round Adelaide) before moving on Thursday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb