Back on the Murray


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Renmark
June 16th 2012
Published: June 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The last couple of days in Adelaide were spent mostly packing up and stocking the motor home as well as driving around having a last look. What we love most about Adelaide are the river red gums that are everywhere. They are all along the Murray and also prolific at Alice Springs but they add such a great touch to the already picturesque Adelaide, in their parks and lining their suburban streets.

And so we said farewell .. as they say .. and headed north east up the aptly named Corkscrew Road (very winding for a motor home) to Cudlee Creek and beyond. Our next destination was the Barossa Valley and Nuriootpa once more. This is wine country and for miles there are vineyards .. not at their best in winter with the bare, sometimes pruned branches. There are also many cellar doors for wine tasting but it's not my idea of fun so we didn't partake. We did like Nuriootpa's police station sign though .. 'Cell Door, Open'.

This is a German influenced town and Doug had fun buying some wine and was in foodie's heaven buying all sorts of German sausage and smoked bacon and interesting breads at the many bakeries. Nearby Angaston also has lots of interesting German butcher shops, bakeries and cheese shops as well as our always destination .. the shop selling nuts and dried fruits. We also once more called in to Maggie Beer's Farm Shop and bought pates and jellies, always delicious, so wine o'clock has been extra tasty.

This morning we left the Barossa and soon were in quite scrubby outback type country for quite a while until, as is always surprising, we came upon orange groves and yet more vineyards. We were in Riverland country and the reason for everything growing so well is water from the mighty Murray River. There seems to be more wine grown than oranges these days but they are both in abundance, as well as olives. We noticed some grapes were left on the vine to dry .. to become sultanas no doubt.

We are in a very nice caravan park here in Renmark, with good views of the river. They have a wonderful swimming pool in the park, it's a shame it's winter and chilly! Tomorrow we cross the border into Victoria - destination Mildura.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

our favourite motor homeour favourite motor home
our favourite motor home

on show at Nurioopta .. a family made a long trip over to Queensland in 1931 in this .. not many roads there in those days


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb