Day 5 - Kingston SE to Redhill (SA) via Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Pirie
April 1st 2015
Published: April 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Breaking camp pre-sunrise.Breaking camp pre-sunrise.Breaking camp pre-sunrise.

At Kingston SE jetty.
We were up early and were treated to an absolutely fabulous sunrise as we slipped away from our campsite.

Today we would travel past the Coorong - an area that I had not visited previously and I was keen to see what it was like (although a 4WD is recommended for travelling in the area). The Coorong is a string of saltwater lagoons which are sheltered from the Southern Ocean by sand dunes. The wetlands provide refuge for many water birds and is a breeding site for Pelicans.

After the Coorong, we headed across to Murray Bridge and then along the freeway to Adelaide. We detoured to Hahndorf for coffee and for a brief sightsee, before driving carefully down the very steep freeway into Adelaide. Heavy vehicles are required to travel in the left lane at no more than 60 km/hour so that they may access the run off safety roads if their brakes fail!

We had arranged to rendezvous with Toby in Adelaide to check out a camera lens he had for sale. But firstly, we had to drive around the city and through lots of roadworks to get to Woodville and get money from an ATM.
Sunrise at Kingston SESunrise at Kingston SESunrise at Kingston SE

Sunrise at Kingston SE. Taken with the iphone.
After checking out the lens and handing over the cash, Toby directed us to a petrol station so we could fill up. On the Road again.

Georgi wasn't keen on driving out through the industrialised north of Adelaide and attempted to persuade me to go north via the Barossa or the Flinders ranges! But we kept to the plan and headed out through Port Wakefield until we stopped at Dublin to re-stock.

We then came across a place called Snowtown which advertised a lovely free camp site.....but we had heard about this place previously, and decided to go further north. We drove parallel to the railway line and "raced" a train beating it into Redhill by about one minute. We camped just along the road from the railway station.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Breakfast at a wayside stopBreakfast at a wayside stop
Breakfast at a wayside stop

Just up the road from Kingston SE
The CoorongThe Coorong
The Coorong

Coorong National Park, South Australia.
Main street of Hahndorf.Main street of Hahndorf.
Main street of Hahndorf.

Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills.
Testing of the new wide angle lensTesting of the new wide angle lens
Testing of the new wide angle lens

At Woodville, Adelaide.


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb