On the road again....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Augusta
April 7th 2011
Published: April 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi to our wonderful family and friends, after a mostly sleepless night due to an invasion of hundreds of noisy, squawking white cockatoos, we left Broken Hill at about 9.30am. Headed down south and into South Australia. Once again we had to stop for lunch and eat all our fruit and salad bits. We only had to hand in 1 x potato, 5 x onions and some celery. It was a very enjoyable trip, wide, flat open land. Only saw groups of emus and wild goats again and not one single kangaroo. As we moved further south we ran into sheep and cattle country. We have travelled through many quaint little country towns and hardly seen a person.
Once again we were awestruck by the changing scenery, from barren plains to rolling green hillsides.
Our road south followed the main railway line between Adelaide and Broken Hill. I anxiously waited, with camera in hand for a train to pass. I was hoping for the Indian Pacific or the mighty Ghan, all I got was a goods train and nearly missed the pic.
This afternoon we climbed over the Flinders Ranges and down into Port Augusta. This is beautiful place, we were amazed at its beauty, and especially as someone the night before told us it was terrible and not stay here. Well you all know Rodg and me; we never do as we are told.
The roads are great. The car and van are travelling well. We have met so many Grey Nomads we wonder if anyone over 65 years is still at home. Oh, speaking of home, we met a guy called Wayne and you wouldn’t believe it, he used to live around the corner from my mum at Kilaben Bay. After much discussion we learn that he is a shooting mate of John T., our cousin by marriage. Also he knows a few people we know. Boy oh boy John T, your friend can talk the leg off an iron pot. This morning we met another of your shooting friends John T. Someone called Brian. It is a small world.
Well now down to important things. Rodg packed HIS golf clubs and HIS fishing gear and left MY tenpin bowling ball and gear at home. How typical is that.
Well folks, tomorrow we will be heading off west across the rest of SA.
We hope this blog finds you all well and happy. Please laugh and love a lot.
Cheers Di and Rodg.


Advertisement



7th April 2011

Found you.
Diane after some searching we found your blog. Look forward to some more stories and photos love Marise
7th April 2011

Well Di and Rodger, After talking about this trip for years you are finally on your way. Sounds like it is everything you hoped for. Enjoy love Benita
8th April 2011

The Night Sky
Hi Nomads, A thought occurred to me last night when I was watching a program called "The Sky at Night" presented by Sir Patrick Moore. One of the astronomers talked about the "Southern Cross" and that is when it dawned on me. If you guys are in the middle of nowhere and it is so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face, take a look skywards and you will see billions of stars not normally seen because of city light polution. I have done this on the Isle of Coll when we have been there and there has been no moon in the sky. Have fun - John

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb