Kanga'ruse'


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Outback
September 29th 2004
Published: September 29th 2004
Edit Blog Post

I think the "kangaroo" might just be an elaborate hoax dreamed up to attract tourists to Australia. Or an urban myth. Indeed, when the first settlers wrote to home to England describing these creatures, everyone thought it was a joke and I'm inclined to feel the same way. These so called "kangaroos" are supposedly a pest, there are so many of them. "Don't drive through the outback at night" the natives warn "you'll be sure to hit a kangaroo". And then they turn to each other and snicker when you're not looking. I was positive we would see so many kangaroos on the road in the outback that we'd be sick of the sight of them.

Not a one.

I lie. We saw a few but they were dead on the side of the road. Most likely stragically placed props to support the tales. Sure I've seen kangaroos in zoos and what not but they could easily be... robots.

Okay, maybe it's just my disappointment talking. I've been told that kangaroos hang out on the roads around dusk because they mistake headlight reflections on the road for pools of water but it hasn't been too dry (by desert standards) of late so the roos are not around as much as usual.

Advertisement



8th December 2004

Kangaroos
I thought exactly the same as you. Was in Oz in '97/'98 and only saw 1 live kangaroo and that was in a zoo. The rest were all 'roadkills'. But have just been back for another visit and had to drive to the Flinders from dusk until dark. OH MY GOD - how many kangaroos? They were bl**dy everywhere and all of them on a suicide mission. At first I was in awe but after an hour of very stressful driving I wanted them all to go back into hiding. So if you want to see Kangaroos then go to the Flinders and do the dusk drive!!!!!!!!!!!!
17th September 2005

Ya nong! :)
They are nocturnal, you know, feed by night, sleep most of the day type nocturnal? :) Nice read tho, ta :)

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb