Naracoorte Caves National Park (19-20 November)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Naracoorte
November 25th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Naracoorte Caves National Park in conjunction with the Riversleigh Section of Boodjamulla National Park, Qld (formerly Lawn Hill National Park), forms the 'Australian Fossil Mammal Site World Heritage Area', which we had found out about at the SA Museum. On our first night there, we walked to the entrance of Bat Cave at 8:30pm, which is when the endangered sole colony of Southern Bentwing Bats make their exodus from the cave in search of food. A few possums accompanied us in the hope that they would get a feed as thousands of the small bats exited the cave.

The next morning we went on a tour of Alexandra Cave, which had lots of cave decorations, followed by a self-guided tour inside Wet Cave. After lunch, we did the fascinating and informative Victoria Fossil Cave tour, which included a fossil bed display area and information on how all the different formations (stalactites, stalagmites, helictites, columns, flow-stone, avens, etc) are formed. Annelies and Thomas also had a laugh when Suzi the park ranger guide told the story of the Australian 'drop bear', whose myth may stem from the existence of the marsupial lion!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Alexandra Cave entranceAlexandra Cave entrance
Alexandra Cave entrance

My very own cave!
Marsupial Lion Marsupial Lion
Marsupial Lion

Affectionately christened "Leo" by Park staff
Mirror poolMirror pool
Mirror pool

The bottom image is actually a reflection


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb