Times are changing


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mt Gambier
September 30th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So much has changed since my last post. We returned to Perth and returned Prudence to her rightful owners after spending the night at the 'Witches Hat' hostel.  The following day we set out to do some touristy things where we had a truly relaxing morning. In Perths botanical gardens ( I fell asleep) next we found out that the Perth Mint we were planning to visit was closed after which it was almost exactly beer o'clock and fortunately we found a Stella retailer. The rest of that day ended disgracefully! We proceeded to race on motorbikes in the arcade and somehow drink the last three bottles of wine which we were so concerned about transporting. Needless to say I did not feel particularly clever the next day. Regardless of this I refuled with a fried breakfast (Rachel had musli..... Musli's for losers) and we got a taxi to the airport. The flight provided 'The Young Victoria' for entertainment and for those of you planning to watch this film I would like to warn you that it does not contain one single car chase!

We arrived in Adelaide when it was dark, checked in to our high ceilinged and almost certainly haunted hostel room and went for a wander in the dark.  As learned with Perth, arriving anywhere in the dark does not paint the best picture of the location. After wandering round a grocery shop and buying nothing we went for an Indian.

The following day we went to meet and pay for Humphrey the camper. It was at this point that the reality of our poorly calculated Australia budget became apparent. To give an example of this; last nights dinner and wine cost $100 and we realised that our daily budget for the next 6 weeks including diesel and camp sites is $50 per day. Whoops. Please be aware that there is no cause for concern as I have a cunning scheme devised whereby Rachel will engage in polite conversation with the elderly and I will steal their money.

So far living in the camper is awesome! We spent the first night at a camp site in Adelaide where we saw an amazing sunset and got to know our new friend Humpas. Then we washed our clothes and hit the road. After stopping in Murray Bridge to run some errands we stopped at a National park camp site and had a vegetable stir fry from our budget shop carried out in Adelaide which I am most proud of. We spent a little bit of money and are living quite comfortably.

Today was a day of driving which took us from the top of the Coorong national park down to Mount Gambier. We stopped at almost every town on the way down and the truth is that there's not a lot going on.  The roads are long, empty and amazing. We're back in a powered camp site with facilities tonight and will most likely spend another night here tomorrow because tomorrow promises to be a day of lakes, sinkholes and hiking.  

In terms if tonight we have beef casorole with potatoes broccoli and shall be making a start on the crate of VB purchased a few hous ago.

Life is good.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb