HOBURMAC OUTBACK ADVENTURE


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Leigh Creek
April 24th 2013
Published: April 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Week 1

Hi All,

Well a week has passed and it seem there is just too much to tell, each day has been fulled to the brim and yet we are all relaxed and definately into holiday mode. Our first stop was Nyngan to get west quickly. The next two nights were bush camping at Gundabooka Nat Park just south of Bourke. We did have a few interesting moments when we first hit the dirt, when Julie and Craig's roof rack broke but the outback engineers fixed that in no time but were soon put back into action dismantling a locked gate that was threatening to bar our way.

Two nights of bush camping thrust us into serious camping mode with fires, camp stoves and baby wipe washes. We did a visit to Bourke to check out the town and grab a few forgotten supplies and get more beer. The next day it was off to Tibooburra via Wanarring and we are on dirt for quite some time now. Tibooburra was a nice stop, good to get back in a shower and have a pub meal. Also quite a pretty place with the rock formations.

On again up up Cameron Corners the three way border with some great hills and sandy bits to negotiate both on bikes and cars as we get a feel for the fast chanigng roads/tracks. Lunch at the Cameron Corner pub before pushing on to Montecollina Bore. This is a little gem, a hot spring filling up a water hole coming out at about 50deg. We set up camp and settle into the soothing waters for a few too many beers before another great camp meal and terriffic fire. The only downer is the flies that seem to materialise out of nowhere the moment you step out of the car.

Next morning off to Arkaroola at the northern tip of the Flinders Ranges and this proved to be a spectacular drive with a bit of everything. Light rain was a bit of a pain for a while but then the front moved over with some amazing cloud formations and the track took us beside the mountain range and through a series of windy creek beds. We saw emus and their young all the way and the mountain backdrop was fantastic. We booked in to Arkaroola with Julie and Craig going the cabin option whilst Andrew Tim and I all chose to camp. We have spent the last three days exploring this georgeous area on foot, bike and 4wd including the amazing ridge top 4wd tour. The scenery is too majestic to capture and there is something spectacular around every corner. We spent a day doing some excellent 4wd tracks that put both cars and bikes to the test and we are loving every minute.

Now passing thru Leigh Creek to re supply before heading up the Oodnadatta track. Everyone is happy and well and besides two flat tyres there have been no mishaps. Will check in again in a week from the Alice.

Love to All

Lee, Tim, Julie Craig and Andrew

Advertisement



25th April 2013

Glad to hear you're having a good time. Sounds spectacular. Do take care. Cheers Sue

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb