KI day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kangaroo Island
March 26th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Remarkable Rocks Remarkable Rocks Remarkable Rocks

Pretty strong, eh?
ok, so we got up again at the crack of dawn (by now you may have figured out that this vacation is about experiences and not really slepping in ) in order to be the first ones at the Remarkable Rocks inside Flinders Chase National Park. So after leaving our lovely farm, we drove the 20 km to the Rocks. During the drive, we had the rare chance to see a Koala cross the street just in front of us and then hustle off in to the trees, and we saw Kangaroos and Wallaby again as they were trying to find a cool shaded place to rest for the day.
The Remarkables are some pretty amazing Granite Rocks that sit on a huge dome overlooking the raging waters below. We used the early hour to take lot's of silly fotos, climb around, under, and over the rocks and also look respectfully from safe distance at the massive waves that crash into the rocks below us. unfortunately a few people have fallen to their death round here when they stepped to close to the edge, or slipped on the rocks in rainy conditions.
From the Remarkables, we kept on driving
Admirals ArchAdmirals ArchAdmirals Arch

can you find the seals?
along the coast to Cape du Couedic and the lighthouse and to observe the New Zealand Fur seal colony at Admirals Arch. You could literally stand here for hours watching these amazing animals play in the water, use the rocks as slides, play-fight with eachother, dive in the clear pools of water, or jump of the higher cliffs, just to have fun! They are so playful, that time just flies observing them in their natural environment!
Since we weren't quite ready to leave the park, we ended up having another picnic lunch inside the Park, and this time were greeted by a young and an older Kangaroo, who did not leave our site and just enjoyed the bowl of water that we sat out for them. Since South Australia is experiencing a sever draught, a lot of the animals are looking for water, and so the two 'roos enjoyed a drink while we enjoyed our fancy wraps!
since we were quite exhausted after all that wildlife observing, we just had to stop at one of the great beaches at KI to relax for a bit, and so we followed the North Coast to Stokes Bay, walked through a limestone tunnel just to find a brilliant beach at the other end. And do i need to say it ... "we were the only ones there.... "
After a bit of R&R and a swim, we drove on towards the small township of Kingscote to watch some Australian Pelicans get there dinner, before we had to get back to Penneshaw to catch the evening ferry back to the mainland. Since it was time for another beautiful sunset by now , in these parts, that also means it is time for the penguins to come back onshore to their nests, and so we watched the little penguins waddle on land while we enjoyed some fish and chips for dinner before boarding the ferry!
Two really fun days in a place that I'd love to return to! if you are ever in South Australia, Kangaroo Island is a must!

until tomorrow SL


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



28th March 2007

cute koalas!
Steffi, will you bring a cuddly koala home for me pleeeeeeeease? I cannot believe you are watching penguins, kangaroos, sea lions and seals. How cool! Thanks for the updates! Safe travels.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb