Parachilna to Innamincka


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Innamincka
October 10th 2006
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

As we were a little short of our planned first stop at Lyndhurst we left early, to go up the Strezlecki track, aim to get to Innaminka for the second night and get back on track. Unfortunately we are obviously supposed to be learning something we have missed and 180km up the track we slowed down to help a broken down road train (after he tried to stop a previous 4x4 with no success!!!!!). We had at the same time noticed an odd noise and were also stopping to investigate. Trucky had blown a water hose - no probs as we are carrying a spare 50litres (unlike another car which stopped and only had 5 between two - hope they don’t have a problem). We got trucky back on road, he and Steve worked out the front diff had gone so back to Copley we go (around 250km. We could not go on as although vehicle can drive in 2wd 4 will not work and a lot of road ahead is 4x4 only.

Excellent and friendly mechanic (open on Sunday!!!) reckoned he could fix Monday if he had the parts or Tuesday if not. Went to local caravan park and pitched the tent. Also very friendly people and a great mine of local information. Town consists of garage, pub, shop, caravan park and a few houses so not too large.

Cruiser was fixed by 5pm Monday night so packed as much as we could with the intention of leaving early today.

Up before light - beautiful sunrise over the flinders ranges, packed tent and we left at 6.15am. 1km up the road we are yet again being told we have not learnt something - wracking my brain to think what it is - the brake warning light starts to play up. Back to Copley and breakfast while awaiting garage to open at 8. Quick and easy fix and off we go again. This time I reckon we must have learnt a little but not enough as we got 9km up the road and had a puncture. So after unloading, changing tyre etc off we go back to Copley again as although we have another spare it is not advisable to be without 2 for such a distance on rarely used roads.

We had a joke with the garage owner and he suggested they put our names on the electoral roll!!!!

Off again now nearly 10am. This time we make 20km but the young girl in the garage had not tightened up the wheel nuts enough and we did not think to check them so now we are sitting at side of road with no wheel and nuts sheared off.

As there is definitely no CDMA coverage here I can not send this yet so will add more later when I can sent it. Who knows where or when that will be.

Luck is on our side again, we did not have to wait long and before someone came along, they have taken a message to the local garage back in Copley to bring the tow truck. We made use of the time by listening to the NLP tapes and discussing things of interest around.

Great kid came out and trip back to town was a mine of local information and interesting breakdown stories. We had a great day in the garage, talking to other’s also broken down. You certainly get to hear some interesting stories. 4 new wheel rims, nuts, bolts etc later and a lot of hours (3.30pm) we are off again.

This time we were obviously meant to leave town. We decided on a different route to go through the gammon ranges and join the Strezlecki track near where we got to the first time. We found this most beautiful camping spot in the Gammon ranges national park. The walks from there looked great but the shortest was 4 hours and most 6 - 8 which is a little too long for the current climate. (42C).

Off to Innaminka we go, about 400km up the track. This route is much more interesting, wonderful scenery. We came across an unusual lizard that we had not seen before which runs in the most peculiar manner.

Once we hit the Strezlecki the scenery deteriorates to nothing. But surprisingly a variety of nothing. Not a blade of grass in many places and not much more anywhere, the landscape went from looking like the moon, to mars, to an eerie Sci Fi film and then to a Nuclear Holocaust. In the middle there is a bore - only one on the track- and every bird, animal and fly for hundreds of Km’s lives there, very very pretty all among an oasis landscape of sand dunes. Other landscapes are red sand, white sand and stony desert.

More later
Carol Hedges
See our favourite Beach location www.agneswaters.com.au
How did we funded the trip? Find out www.cash-workathome.com



Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb