Walking a ridgeline


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Flinders Ranges
August 21st 2014
Published: August 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast done it was over to the camp kitchen to catch up on connectivity dependent activities … up loading our blog, down loading share market information, attending to emails and messages and finding out the latest world news. This seemed a popular activity at this time of day with at least a dozen others doing similar things.



Next we headed out on the Kangaroo Gap and Pine Cave trail, some 6.5km. On our estimation we would be back for lunch at 2:00pm. A ‘spot on’ calculation as it turned out.



Again we covered some awesome territory, much of it very different from the walk of the previous day. The first part of the trail seesawed between almost flat and long steady inclines taking us through pine tree thickets and flowering acacias. Of course no matter where we looked we could see one of the spectacular nearby ranges. The photos tell it all. Pine Cave was high up on the ridge and we anticipated this would be a good place for a banana break. However despite the stunning view the gentle waft of dead kangaroo emanating from the cave made sure we moved on a little further.



The trail became steeper and the going tougher but the breeze acted as welcome air conditioning. We passed through the most amazing natural rock gardens. Landscapers would have fun replicating this natural beauty. Although relatively flat through this area the trail was rocky and tricky to negotiate.



Finally we knew we were on the home straight only to have our spirits dashed by one last steep climb. Greg was sure he could get us home an easier way but Joan wasn’t having a bar of it given the previous days trail deviation.



Back at camp with lunch done we both lay down for a rest and recovery. One snored more than the other! Guess who?



Before we knew, it was time to prepare dinner. This time a green curry chicken dish washed down with a 2006 Baileys Frontenac. Delish!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



23rd August 2014

looks like fun
I'll pass on those fruit chocs but take a glass of the wine, thx :-). Nice to see you out on the road again... have fun!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb