DAY 10 FLINDERS RANGES


Advertisement
Published: June 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Day 10 EXPLORING THE FLINDERS RANGES

Today we explored the Flinders Ranges by first finding the Bunyeroo Valley Drive along the Geological Trail. The track is windy and very undulating with numerous sharp dip creek courses and now is in-between well graded and rough. There are many bush-style campsites. We stopped at numerous places … Yanyanna Horse Yards and hut (both now unused), Razorback Lookout, giving views over the Ikara-Flinders Ranges NP, Bunyeroo Gorge through to the Brachina Gap into the Brachina Gorge which creates a striking appearance with its crumbling walls of shale, limestone and quartzite. There are scattered lone graves and ruins of shepherds huts, a reflection of hard times endured, north through the Aroona Valley to the Aroona Homestead and hut with magnificent scenery enjoyed. I remember seeing documentaries of the great artist, Sir Hans Heysen, who captured the ranges of this area in its many moods.

We ended up in the rustic tiny town of Blinman where we enjoyed a coffee and a sweet plus striking up conversation with a farmer and his family from Shepparton, Victoria. They were off to Oodnadatta.

In summary one cannot escape the towering ancient cliffs, weathered peaks, deep
craters and spectacular gorges with their sheltered creeks, that border the dusty red roads of the rugged landscapes of the Flinders Ranges.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement







Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb