Victor Harbour 3


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Fleurieu Peninsula
October 10th 2011
Published: October 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Whales !!Whales !!Whales !!

Off Bascham Beach
Today we have heard that there are whales off Bascham Beach at Middleton, just a few Klm's out of V.H. so there was no question as to where we were off to first today ! and yes, they were there ! After an hour of watching them, 4 in total that we could tell, a mother and calf and two others, 500 plus photos of flipper slapping and some tail flute flapping we felt that not much else was going to occur so moved on to continue our day, but what a great experience to see them.

Coffee was in Port Elliott a great town that was once destined to be the port from which all the rich agricultural produce shipped down the Murray on paddle steamers would be shipped out to the rest of Australia and the world. Then on to Goolwa, a large Murray River port, the only town in Australia where paddle steamers and steam trains met to carry inland produce overland for shipping overseas. Goolwa was fantasitic with great history and buildings.

We then went over to Hindmarsh Island and went to see where the Murray met the sea at the Murray Mouth, quite incredible.

Home was via the supermarket to pick up a rolled lamb roast to cook on the spit for dinner with some roast veges...does it get any better?


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Whale watchers Whale watchers
Whale watchers

Excited whale watchers at Bascham Beach
GoolwaGoolwa
Goolwa

we really liked this Murray River town
The Oscar W PaddlesteamerThe Oscar W Paddlesteamer
The Oscar W Paddlesteamer

A restored Murray River work horse at Goolwa wharf
The Cockle Train The Cockle Train
The Cockle Train

This restored steam train runs between Goolwa, where it is pictured arriving, and Victor Harbour
The Murray Mouth The Murray Mouth
The Murray Mouth

This is the spot where the Murray River enters the sea off Hindmarsh Island
Dinner that nightDinner that night
Dinner that night

Trish supervising the cooking of a spit roast leg of Lamb for dinner
Neil & FayeNeil & Faye
Neil & Faye

Sitting around the coals of the 'spit' fire after enjoying our roast dinner


12th October 2011

hello
enjoying your blog mike keep up the good writings. please keep in touch look forward to hearing about your experiences 'on the road'
16th October 2011

WHALES!
How cool was that!!! I am sure it would have been a magical experience! I can't believe they frolicked around for over an hour! The photos are great, did you have the long lens on Dad? Good camera! :) Goolwa looks very pretty. I am sure you guys could have spent a few days there just taking it all in! Did you get any photos of the actual mouth of the Murray? That would be pretty amazing to see, just thinking about all the other places you have seen up much further upstream! The camping setup looks great! I am sure by now you have it all down to a fine art, but it really does look comfortable and quite professional! I am sure you will have lots of chats to people along the way about their vans and your van - will keep Dad busy and entertained!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb