From Yorke Peninsula to Eyre Peninsula


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Eyre Peninsula
April 7th 2013
Published: April 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday morning dawned bright and sunny. We broke camp early and left Port Vincent heading north. Unfortunately, we had to travel on the same road that we came in on and as luck would have it, we turned off before the scene of Heidi's embarrasing incident.

We rode through the outskirts of Port Pirie and Port Augusta (every name seems to have Port before it or Bay after it). It was odd riding past P. Augusta as it smelt like we were at Port Kembla.

Arriving at Whyalla, knackered, we found the Hotel/Motel we wanted, very easy. After a couple of cheap beers $4 ea for a pint, and a big snitzel meal we were ready for a good nights sleep.

Saturday morning, we had the continental breakie that was included in the price of accom, loaded the bikes and took off. Our first stop was 250metres around the corner to refuel both 'steads'. Whyalla is quite a large industrial city and sprawls out from the ocean over many kms, everywhere also shows the red dust.

For some, this could have proved a challenging adventure, but, Geoffrey the GPS, guided us on a direct path away from the hussle and bustle towards open road nirvana. We travelled to Cowell and then straight down to Tumby Bay. Although it was only 276kms, and only took us 2 1/2 hours, the combination of the 2 days constant riding at highway speeds left us really appreciative of having reached our destination.

The roads were again fabulous and scenery on the Eyre Peninsular was in stark contrast to that of the previous peninsula. Although some small sections of land had been cleared, still quite a large proportion under native bush, a few hills in the distance added to the scenic pleasure.

A great ride and highly recommended. Stay tuned for the next installment, when we will tell you all you didn't want to know about Port Lincoln and Coffin Bay. Da de dah.

Advertisement



7th April 2013

A bit of suspense
I bet it's nice to be on the move again. Sounds like a night in a motel was a welcome change from Bruce. I'm glad Heidi avoided the embarrassment of returning to the scene of the crime (not to mention Eoin). I've always found it strange to be navigating major towns and traffic when on that kind of trip. It's supposed to be all about small towns and the bush. The twist of the da de dah at the end adds a bit of suspense. Can't wait for the next episode.

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb