DAY 4 BORDER VILLAGE-FOWLERS BAY


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Eyre Peninsula
June 14th 2022
Published: June 14th 2022
Edit Blog Post

DAY 4 BORDER VILLAGE-FOWLERS BAY

Nature rewarded us with its magnificent ruggedness of the Great Australian Bight, sunshine and marine life, notably whales. The photos are spread over the 200kms of the mighty Bunds Cliffs which come to an end at Head of Bight. The morning was cold to begin with, however the day quickly warmed, and the cloud cleared. We stopped at all the lookouts with their solid walkways and viewing platforms. Head of Bight proved to be our highlight as whales were present. They didn’t breach but seeing their large forms as they moved gently through the water made the sight even more pleasurable. The eroding cliff face here demanded to be ‘looked at’. I love the physical geography aspect.

We cut in off the Eyre Highway, taking a rough-at-times 26km track towards the coast for the very, very small beautiful community of Fowlers Bay, which is located on the western end of Port Eyre. It was once an active port and a gateway to the western reaches of the continent; however, it fell into decline in the 1960s and 70s. A revitalised tourist industry has seen the town develop again. The southern right whales that frequent the coast now bring sightseers. Large sand dunes are prominent on the southern side of the town and have been migrating to cover parts of the town over the past century. We will fall asleep tonight with the sound of the ocean washing on the shore as we are camped about 30m from the water’s edge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement




Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb