Last Few Days


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Eyre Peninsula » Ceduna
June 19th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -32.1261, 133.675

Its been a great holiday but we have almost reached the stage of no return. We have decided the holiday doesn't end until we turn the corner at Port Augusta as we can still head back up the highway.
If only......

Anyway we went on the tour of the Kalgoorlie Superpit on Monday which took 2.5 hours and it was brilliant. Matt the tour guide had worked in the mine and he was just full of information about the running and the history of the mine. We wish we could remember all the details for you but damn we are getting older and it went in one ear and out the other. They were getting ready to blast 2 areas but we were already running late to leave Kal and didn't hang around for that as they only give you 1 hour notice not a specific time.

We had a big drive and didn't get as far south as we planned but stopped at a free camp spot called Newman Rocks. The area was spectacular and looked over a valley with a lake in the distance. Could have stayed longer but we were on a mission to catch up some time so we left early and spent 8 hours on the road to another free camp. All of these camps we could have a small camp fire so that was good. Had our morning cuppa with a lovely visitor that morning (kanga).
Off we went driving for another 7 hours to free camp again but this one was a bit noisier being not far off the highway and the trucks just don't stop during the night.
We made a friend with one of the road train drivers chatting to him for quite a while on the cb and he only lives around the corner from us. Small world heh?

All this driving bought us to the Head of The Bight and it is beautiful. It was a sunny but windy day We spent an hour having lunch and watching the whales at the whale centre which costs $15 each to enter. I think David was disappointed they didn't ask if we were seniors!!! I finally found some camels there hahahahahaha.

The Nullabor was a good drive and we both had a turn at driving the straightest stretch of highway in the world which is 145.6km long. The countryside changes from trees to small bushes to scrub and back again. It really is a lovely country.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Road SignRoad Sign
Road Sign

RDFS use the road too
VegetationVegetation
Vegetation

So much dead wood
Head of the BightHead of the Bight
Head of the Bight

Hmmm how did he get here before me?
CamelsCamels
Camels

Finally found some


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb