Ceduna Happy Birthday Greg!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Ceduna
November 24th 2012
Published: November 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The caravan set up with a sea view on the esplanade in Ceduna, we headed next door to the hotel in search of Friday lunch. Local King George whiting with the obligatory chips and salad, washed down with a bottle of New Zealand Sav Blanc set the standard for our few days in Ceduna.

The views across the bay were very beautiful and gave rise to stunning sunsets. Cameras clicked aplenty as all and sundry tried to capture them.

Grain trucks filling the silos, stark white salt piles and clattering gypsum trains all located near the wharf were evidence of local production. A ship being filled with gypsum meant regular long heavy trains passing through town by night and day.

Obviously Friday is the night for action at the pub next door. Seems everyone was being thrown out at some time in the wee small hours. There was plenty of laughter and shouting as the crowds dispersed and moved off in various directions.

Saturday was Greg’s birthday. After ensuring we had some oysters for our dinner entrée, we headed to the local historical museum. Of most interest were the bits and pieces from Maralinga when it was decommissioned. However there was an amazing collection of all sorts of things from farm machinery and shearing equipment to horse shoes and oil cans. There were at least 20 old sewing machines, different washing machines, heaters, crockery, tea sets, kettles, war memorabilia, clothes, prams, cameras, hats, model ships, you name it, they had it in triplicate at least. There were buildings furnished as early homes, an old church, a prison, a school room and scores of stuff ready to be restored and displayed. It was an amazing collection an antique dealers dream!

A generous Police Officer, finding we were out-of-towners let Greg off with a warning as we passed through the quarantine station obviously driving faster than we should have been. Maybe she knew it was his birthday!

Cars with trailers in tow attracted Greg’s attention to the dirt racing circuit on the edge of town. We called in to find action was only due to begin later that evening, at the time the oysters, steak and red wine would be calling Greg’s name. Pity!

Greg’s birthday dinner capped off a somewhat strange but wonderful day.

The following morning saw us packing up ready to move on again, this time to Streaky Bay. Only a few days left of our trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



26th November 2012

Oh yum the oysters
26th November 2012

BDay
Happy Birthday Greg. What a BDay you had!

Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb