The Beginning: Stuck in Ceduna


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Ceduna
September 22nd 2007
Published: October 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, after months of organising, waiting and planning we eventually took off from Busselton, a day later than planned as the Step-Mum of one of our travelling companions died and he attended her funeral. The first two days travelling across W.A. heading for the start of the Eyre Highway was refreshing as the west has had lots of rain recently and everything was lush and green. Not so as we progressed on into South Australia, passing through km after km of wasteland, dry and dusty. When we reached the farming land it was so sad to see field after field of stunted crops, sparse and dry, even seeing whole harvesting rigs up for sale on the side of the road beside farms. The animals look underfed and spindly and farmers seem to let them roam wherever they want if they can forage some feed for themselves.
Listening to the radio on our trip it comes home to you just how bad the drought is, causing hardship not only to the farmers and their families but to a trail of people employed in associated work. The Govt is obviously trying to help with financial deals but these have to be paid back at some stage so this only adds to the burden of the farmers. Many are leaving the land as they can earn more in the booming mining industry, but with great reluctance as many farms have been in the families for many generations.
The animals killed on the side of the road by traffic, mainly huge road trains, is devestating. Not just one here and there but one every few metres, sadly something that cannot be helped as the animals seem to visit the road side for vegetation and moisture, especially at night when the road trains go through.
We had intended to spend 2 days in Ceduna, S.A. but due to one of travelling companions becoming ill our stay extended to a week. Very eventful as he was flown to Flinders Medical Centre in Adelaide by the Royal Flying Doctor Service. He was eventually flown back and after resting for a couple more days he felt he was ready to move on. If anyone has been to Ceduna, even passing through, will know it is not your most desired holiday destination.

Advertisement



3rd October 2007

Great to follow your adventure
Hi Trev and Marilyn, This is very exciting to follow your trek. Don't forget to add photos if you can, how long are you going to be travelling for?

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb