ADELAIDE AND ITS SURROUNDS - Touching the surface only!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
May 11th 2012
Published: May 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Adelaide Victoria SquareAdelaide Victoria SquareAdelaide Victoria Square

A modern fountain in the square.
ADELAIDE. It was here where were to rest from our trip across Australia, staying with two different family members during our visit.The comments below only touch the surface of the things to experience here, so look elsewhere for more details if you intend to visit.



Our overall impression of Adelaide is a very positive one, and if we were ever to move from the Centre of the Universe (Whitley Bay), this would be on our short list. The city centre is sufficiently small to walk around, and is laid out on a grid system. It has good modern shops with a car free shopping street, but at the same time retains many of its older buildings. It has a Central Market (at the south of the city) which is worth a visit for the general atmosphere – fruit and vegetables, general market items, oriental food and restaurants, etc. Adelaide also has a very good botanic garden, and an excellent museum at the north edge of the central city -plus lots more.



Adelaide’s public transport system is integrated and is very good. It includes trains, modern trams, buses, and a special bus system called the
Adelaide Victoria SquareAdelaide Victoria SquareAdelaide Victoria Square

A mixture of old and new.
O-Bahn (claimed to be the biggest of its type in the world. (The O-bahn design uses dedicated bus ways that use concrete guidance rails to automatically steer specially adapted buses. It combines the best of both bus and rail systems in that when on the guidance system, the bus driver doesn’t need to steer, and it behaves like a railway train – very fast public transport. At the end of guidance track, the bus just turns off and becomes a regular bus, negating the need for passengers to change vehicles. Check out Wiki for more info.).



About 25km away is an old German Settlement called Hahndorf, touristy with a small museum but worth a visit if you are in the vicinity.



Mount Lofty is about 15km from Adelaide and provides an excellent viewpoint to look over the city, with local walks.



A suburb of Adelaide is Largs Bay, which has a beach apparently good for families, with two piers, and an old suburb called Semaphore which is also geared up for tourism. It has a snake warning for the dunes though, so be careful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Adelaide Victoria SquareAdelaide Victoria Square
Adelaide Victoria Square

Evidence of old colonial days.
Central market.Central market.
Central market.

West of Victorial Square - the place for fruit and veg set in a market of some character.
South end of Central MarketSouth end of Central Market
South end of Central Market

Lots of oriental food and eating places.
Modern Trams.Modern Trams.
Modern Trams.

Extended to run right through the city, it is a good system, but the seats are very hard - cloth stuck on hard plastic? This train runs the 6 miles to Glenelg, the seaside town where the original settlers to the area landed.
Glenelg - Monument Glenelg - Monument
Glenelg - Monument

Monument to the first settlers in the area, landing in Glenelg
Gleneg BeachGleneg Beach
Gleneg Beach

Beautiful beach. The town is a tourist town, fish and chips, etc. but worht a visit.
Glenelg Town Hall and MuseumGlenelg Town Hall and Museum
Glenelg Town Hall and Museum

The small museum, gold coin dontation, gives a brief history of the early settlement, and displays old items found near the jetty lost by settlers, etc. Worth a visit if you have half an hour.
Time Travel back to Adelaide StreetsTime Travel back to Adelaide Streets
Time Travel back to Adelaide Streets

Pavement art in Adelaide's pedestrian shopping street.
Adelaide Botanic Garden Adelaide Botanic Garden
Adelaide Botanic Garden

Lilly pond. You would get quite a few frogs on each of these lilly pads!
Adelaide ShoppingAdelaide Shopping
Adelaide Shopping

One of Adelaides old shopping arcades.
HahndorfHahndorf
Hahndorf

Early German Settlement about 25km from Adelaide. Clearly a tourist town. Note the hansome couple.
HahndorfHahndorf
Hahndorf

Old German settlement building.
HahndorfHahndorf
Hahndorf

Another old building from the town.
Scouts In HahndorfScouts In Hahndorf
Scouts In Hahndorf

Scouts started here at the other end of the earth only a year after the movement started in England. Remarkable achievement for the age.
Semaphore Suburb Seafront from the pier.Semaphore Suburb Seafront from the pier.
Semaphore Suburb Seafront from the pier.

Note the tower, back right. It operated in a similar way to that in Greenwich London. A ball raised and dropped at 1.00pm, to allow ships to synchronise chronometers. Why not at noon - because astronomincal sightings were apparently carried out then.
Super Eco-friendly Spacesaving Loo.Super Eco-friendly Spacesaving Loo.
Super Eco-friendly Spacesaving Loo.

That is a sink on the top! When flushed, the clean water to fill the cystern passes through the tap allowing you to wahs your hands, and the dirty water fills the cyctern for the next flush. Saves space, water, and plumbing in. Never seen one before, but perhaps they are common and I walk around with blinkers on.
Snake Warning at Largs BaySnake Warning at Largs Bay
Snake Warning at Largs Bay

At last, something the Ausies have that we don't have in Whitley Bay. We must get some! - Poisonous snakes in the sand dunes!


11th May 2012

Whitley Bay Scouts
Nice to see some scouts in Australia and to see that you arrived in Adelaide OK .Things are going good over here But Murry is missing you. Weather here is not very good but should be OK for our Australian Camp. Sorry Viking Camp.They are all armed and ready to go so we should be sailing to Australia soon In a Viking Longboat .
11th May 2012

Info for you.
Whilst in Adelaide,get in touch with my nephew Sean Smith. He is a producer/editor at news 9 a local television company. I have mentioned you to him.You can e-mail him at:- sean.smith@nws9.com.au Enjoy your fortnight in Adelaide. Frank.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb