Adelaide and Kangaroo Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 6th 2006
Published: May 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Where's Dinh?

Adelaide - Kangaroo Island - Adelaide

Mon 6th Feb - Fri 10th Feb

Spent a few days in Adelaide on either side of the KI tour exploring the beach at Glenelg, reading books, and just generally chilling out!

Weds 8th Feb - Thurs 9th Feb

Made a 2 day trip with another tour group over to Kangaroo Island. It’s a fantastic place to see wildlife in the wild! There are roos jumping all over the place, koalas chilling out in trees along the road,

Met mad Irish chick Maria who was very amusing but quite scary in a lunatic way!! She provided much of the tour bus’ entertainment for the 2 days!

First stop of the day was to a place called Pennington Bay with lots of sand and sea!! Then to Prospect Hill, we had to climb and exhausting 512 steps to get to the top, but once there the view was fantastic! Only slightly marred by the fact that the sky was turning a bit grey.

By the time we got to see the seals loafing on the beach at Seal Bay, it was chucking it down…luckily I had no wet weather clothing so got a good soaking and chilled to the bone whilst watching the seals do nothing on the beach!! Ah but they were cute, and we got so close to them as well!

The weather had turned so bad (I thought it never rained in Oz - how disappointed am I?!) that we had to abandon the rest of the beach visits and make our way to our overnight stop - stopping of at the bottle shop on the way of course! I’m really getting into the wine over here - I’ll be an expert by the time I get home!

We all got stuck in and helped out with preparing dinner - salad, potatoes and big fat juicy steak! I love the meal times on tours (for the obvious reasons!!), everyone helps out and either prepares the meal or cleans up afterwards, there’s a really nice sense of team spirit!!

The next day was an early start - luckily the bad weather had blown over and we were left with cooler but at least a dry day! Stopped of the Remarkable Rock so named cuz they are actually quite remarkable!! It’s this outcrop of rocks that are the most amazing colour and form incredible shapes…the boys being boys decided to climb all over them, me?...I just admired them from below!

We then made our way around to Admiral’s Arch via a boardwalk round the cliff face and peered down to watch NZ fur seals frolicking in the waters, being battered by the surf and lazing around on the rocks!

I think I’ve seen more wildlife on this trip than I can wave a stick at, so after lunch we went to a wildlife park and saw more cute animals, but this time they weren’t so wild - it was a rescue centre where injured and orphaned animals came to rest! I fed baby roos, cuddled one in a pretend pouch, stroked koalas, teased cockatoos! It was nearing the end of the tour and we were making our way back to the ferry port to get the Sealink back to mainland and back to Adelaide. But our final stop for the day was on Brown Beach, it was sooo beautiful, the beach was secluded and sheltered from wind, the sun was shining and the water was warm. I picked up a few pretty shells as a memento of the trip, but I’m sure they’ll be broken and shattered by the time I get home!!

Ah the end of my second tour, it’s been so much fun and I’ve seen so much wildlife and sights…one more day in Adelaide before doing the big 8 day face the outback tour where I had to camp(!) 5 out of the 7 nights!! eekk!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Remarkable Rocks...Remarkable Rocks...
Remarkable Rocks...

...this is where the new Harry Potter film was filmed!!
Me on a Remarkable Rock...Me on a Remarkable Rock...
Me on a Remarkable Rock...

...and yes it was v cold!!
Me and...Me and...
Me and...

...sorry I can't remember his name!!
Arty black and white shot...Arty black and white shot...
Arty black and white shot...

...well I think so!!
ahhh...ahhh...
ahhh...

...how cute is he?!


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb